Topic

Joshua Tree Coxcomb Mountains Backcountry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Joshua Tree Coxcomb Mountains Backcountry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

(Full photo gallery here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/112412640@N03/sets/72157642855019533/)

After a long week of work I decided to enjoy some backcountry offerings in Joshua Tree. Little did I realize the park was in spring bloom despite a year of drought here on the west coast! It was certainly a pleasant surprise to pitch camp in a field of wildflowers surrounded by the gentle humming of bees and birds.

Desert flowers in bloom

campsite

I even saw a MASSIVE desert tortoise. The thing was at least 16" long where I read they only reach up to 14" and spend 95% of their life underground. What amazing luck to meet such an ancient creature!
    tortoise
    tortoise 2

And then I got to see another creature I've always wanted to see – a horned lizard. This little guy was super-friendly. I think he mistook my camera shutter as a smaller insect because he kept charging the camera. I could put out my finger and he'd bump into it like he wanted to climb onto me. Eventually I had to get up from laying down because he ran under me and I was afraid to squash him.

lizard

The weather was wonderful, only about 80F during noon hours. I was surprised to swap some mosquitos during the dusk hours. Mosquitos! In the desert?!

top view

night shot

Paul Schwerdt

@flexabull

Locale: State of Jefferson

Thanks for sharing!

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Tortuga! Crazy.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Such a cool trip. JTree is already an amazing place – add the wildflowers and a tortoise!?! A one of a kind experience you had there.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Nice. The Coxcomb's are one of my favorite places. Close to home and almost guaranteed to not see other folks there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools