Topic

No-frills, sub 10oz summer backpacking pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) No-frills, sub 10oz summer backpacking pants?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have the Gramicci Quick Dry version of those pants. They are about as simple as it gets— like wearing pajamas.

Ex Officio makes a bunch of light pants and several models without all the cargo pockets. I don't have a current model in mind.

+1 on not believing posted weights– they all lie like dogs ;)

If you are going to pair them with shorts, I would consider wind/track pants. You can get unlined nylon pull-on pants in the 6-7oz range. They typically have good DWR and many have ankle zips. Check the running brands like Nike, New Balance, Brooks, etc.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

Not replying to anyone in particular, but to try to focus things (mixing my own interest and what the OP seems to be after):

the uberlight wind-pant options out there are a different critter than what I think the objective is here:

summer use
    cool
    very breathable
    quick drying
    reasonable durability (and for me abrasion resistance is key, bug resistance is helpful too)
    decent feel against the skin
    simple design

some of the lightest options don't seem to do all that well on many of these, IMO, the lightest that do well on the above are the target

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

The Wild Things wind pants meet all the requirements you list and I like the poster wear shorts for the majority of my hiking and when needed pull my wind pants on over them,they are a very simple design like he is looking for and unlike most wind pants they come in a khaki color which is great as black can get hot, they also have a zipper on the leg so that I can take them off and on without removing my shoes . They are not the uberlight 2-3oz wind pants that don't hold up that is why they are 8oz if he wants to look at them but decides they are not what he wants they have this

Buy with confidence

We know it's tough to buy online. You can't touch it, gauge its fit, or judge its workmanship from mere pictures. So, if you're not happy with your purchase, we'll take it back, and within 30 days, we'll even cover the return shipping charges.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

For 10.5oz, I like the Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants over the Treadways and other Supplex/Nylon designs. Breaths better and moves with your body better. They're similar to the Patagonia Rock Guide pants, but the Rock Guides don't stretch as well, nor do they breath quite as well. After trying about 15 different pairs of pants, the Ferrosis were the winner for fit, function and material. In addition to the Rock Guides, I also tried the popular Arc'Teryx Palisades and Ramparts. Didn't try any of the Rail Riders, but I don't like the idea of mesh for mountain pants.

My only real complaint would be having a zipper on the back pocket.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i own and use the dead bird ramparts/pallisades

im not exactly the biggest dead bird fan out there either

buy em on sale

;)

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

"Mainly, I'm wondering if the Bone Flats pants might fall into a weird functional middle ground between shorts and pants where it doesn't not end up serving either function well (except for sun protection). In other words: still much hotter than shorts, but not nearly as insulating/bug resistant as solid pants, thereby being a bad compromise for either use?"
    In some ways you are correct, though they still will hold heat, just not as much as a regular pair of pants. A pair of thermal pants or windpants/rainpants over them should be more then enough when hiking even in the coldest weather. But perhaps you are holding some preconceptions about what is best.

Shorts work great if you are in shade and the mosquitos aren't out. If you are in direct sun, covering up is actualy cooler if you are wearing light layers; particularly mesh lined pants and shirts which allow some air flow while still blocking most of the direct sunlight. And on the PCT you'll have a lot of direct sunlight. Its called the CREST trail for a reason. You will find yourself in direct sunlight a surprisingly amount of time, even after you leave SoCal and the Sierra's Alpine. I thought this all the way through Oregon. As I didn't enter Washington until Sept.9, I was no longer worried about heat or bugs there. But instead I was worried about cold so I finally changed out my meshed line shirt and pants for ones without mesh.

No matter what pants and shirts you buy, bug protection should be provided by permithrin threatment (built in or added by you). I only used DEET 2 days on the PCT in 2009. Permithrin was more then enough. They might land on you briefly, but they won't stay for long and certainly wont' try to bite through it, even the mesh on the pants. This is another reason I wanted long pants past SocAL and a long sleeve shirt. By covering up, the mosquitos couldn't get to me. Even my hat was treated and I only needed my headnet at breaks in Northern Yosemite (which always has the worse mosquitos in spring). They left my hands alone except in Northern Yosemite where they were just too agressive and in too large of numbers where I finally needed to use DEET on my hands and neck for 2 days.

I mentioned that I used Railriders EcoMesh Pants for the PCT. A little heavier then the BoneFlats pants and less ventilation since the mesh is only on one side. They did have the advantage that the mesh could be zipped up so they were regular pants when it was cool. However, I rarely ever bothered to zip it up except in town. It wasn't necessary. In camp, I normally sat with my sleeping quilt covering my lower half. In the morning I would wear my lightweight thermals under until I warmed up an hour or two later (I normally started hiking at dawn).

I tried switching to shorts in Belden,CA but ended up switching back to my EcoMesh pants pretty quickly. Even though NorCal is hot, I didn't think the shorts were that much cooler; mainly due to how much direct sun I was still encountering. And I was annoyed that I was getting bit by mosquitos occasionally. I went through the Sierra Neveda with only a few bites (on my behind when doing my personal business) and now I was getting more then I had then. But the mosquitos weren't bad enough to require using DEET. But with my pants, I didn't have to worry about them since they still have permithrin on them. Also a big deal in Oregon where the Mosquitos were the second worse on the trail after the Sierra Nevada.

If you are insistent on wearing shorts, then I recommend you just get the lightest regular pants you can find to carry with the shorts. I personally think the BoneFlat pants will work well as I'm planning on using them for the CDT going NOBO which has similar issues that the PCT does. I'll spray them with Permitrhin when I get to Colarado which should last me through Wyoming. I'll likely swap them out for regular pants when I get to YellowStone since I can expect cool weather after that for the rest of the trip. On the PCT I sprayed my clothing at Kennedy Meadows and it was still working in Oregon despite the label saying the spray Permithrin was only good for 6weeks.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Can somebody who has the Gramicci Rocket Dry Original G Pants please tell me how much they weigh? I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure.

My size would be about a 34" waist x 32" length, just to give you an idea.

Thanks!

J Mag

@goprogator

I know you are likely decided by now, but if anyone wants a cheap pair of lightweight pants check out the Columbia Airgill Chill pants here:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-pfg-airgill-chill-pants-omni-freeze-upf-30-for-men~p~6502t/?filterString=columbia-pants~bs~330~316%2Fsizefamily~inseam%3B34%2Fsizefamily~waist%3B34%2F&colorFamily=02

I really like mine, and got them for only $35 with one of STP's common coupons. Plus they had my size (34×34) which is surprisingly hard to find.

Considering you get 2 front pockets, a zippered wallet pocket and one zippered thigh pocket for only 8 oz I'd say it is a pretty good option. They also have a few slits cut into the inner thigh with flaps to give more ventilation in that area (which is nice) but keep out wind as well.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

So I'm on the PCT right now thru hiking with my wife and I need a pair of sun pants pronto.

I've been using my running shorts and my legs are burnt to a crisp. I also have the Montbell Dynamo wind pants that I had to resort to wearing today but I can already tell they won't be a sustainable solution for my sun protection needs (too hot, not breathable enough).

As such, can anyone else give me some more suggestions for pants meeting the qualifications outlined above?

Basically, I want running shorts that happen to be pants. A very comfortable inner brief would be great as well, but isn't required.

The bone flats pants are out because I can't stand backpacking with belts.

The pants need to have an elastic waist due to my requirement of no belt. Some additional security like a draw cord or a cinch strap would also be nice.

The Grammici rocket dry pants are probably out too because the only colors they have available in my size are embarrassingly garish, and they aren't going to get any new colors in for a long time. They lied to me in February and said the new colors would come in on March 12th. I'm not happy with the company right now, even knowing most of this might be due to the dock workers strike.

Anyway, this will be the only pair of pants that I'm living in for the next few months, so you'll forgive me if I don't want them to be canary yellow. A nice light gray, khaki, or stone color is what I'm after.

Thanks for your suggestions.

P.S. – Anyone have any experience with the Sun Precautions active pants?

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

I tried on a pair, and now I want a pair:

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Mens&category=Pants&model=Rampart-Pant

…seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

HTH

KJ

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Just a suggestion…get a ride to REI and buy a pair of their safari pants. They'll work fine and won't take eight weeks to get like Rail Riders and aren't hard to find in your size or a color you like. If you wear em out there are more REIs along the way. I used them till I wore them out. I also use the Rail riders pants but dang they take forever to ship and twice now they've sent the wrong size and color and took another month to exchange…..not something you want to mess with now.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Kenneth,
    The Rampart pants do not have an elasticized waist so they are not what I'm looking for, unfortunately.

DM,
    The REI Sahara pants are also not elasticized in the waist and additionally have cargo pockets. These are both deal breakers

Imagine wearing you favorite pair of lightweight running shorts… now imagine the material of this shorts going down to your shoes instead of just you thighs. This is what I want. Does anyone know if it exists?

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I'm also looking for something similar to what you want Derek.

My thoughts are to try on the latest stable of pants from established running gear manufacturers. Someone earlier mentioned under armour, and looking online, looks like they have a couple of nice offerings.

Think I'll head into the fancy sport stores in town sometime soon and see what is available.

I know when I last looked for running shorts there were some great ones say from Nike (their superlight ones, wow), I just didn't like the colour (only blue available here) and couldn't afford a pair. If they have some pants made on a similar ilk they would be awesome.

Then I'll chop them 3/4 to be more efficient with my full length gaiters, mwahahwaha :-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Imagine wearing you favorite pair of lightweight running shorts… now imagine the material of this shorts going down to your shoes instead of just you thighs. This is what I want. Does anyone know if it exists?"

This is something that I figured out more than thirty years ago. I would wear shorts during a warm day, but then I wanted to pull on some long pants by sunset: men's thin pajama bottoms.

Typically they are cotton or some similar breathable fabric. Typically no pockets. Typically no belt loops. Typically just a snap or two above the fly. They are lightweight and probably not terribly durable.

–B.G.–

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

"Imagine wearing you favorite pair of lightweight running shorts… now imagine the material of this shorts going down to your shoes instead of just you thighs. This is what I want. Does anyone know if it exists?"

Marmot Approach Pant. Basically running short material (light, smooth, slightly stretchy, breathable) down to your shoes.

Not sure how common these are. I found a pair at my local shop and they are track-suit comfy, but with a more athletic fit. They have zippered hand pockets and a small zippered cargo thigh pocket. Zippered fly with a slightly elasticized waist and a snap/tie closure. Minimal instep reinforcement. Lounge-worthy comfort.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

"Lounge-worthy comfort"

I'm not really a pants guy at all (easy people, don't get excited, I'm a shorts man).

But I could really see myself loving a pair of pants like we are describing to death, comfort wise. If I find a pair I like, I'll have to buy spares as I'll wear them every day, in the office, work and all. Well, in the "winter months" of Adelaide :-)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

WILD THINGS WIND PANT they come in khaki (coyote) and are very breathable, weigh 8oz and are made in the USA.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have a pair of the earlier WT Nextec epic pants – 5.5oz for size med – and really like them but wear shorts 95% of the time. I use them in camp, sleep in them, and occasionally start the morning in them, but if it isn't snowing, I am in shorts. Based on the description of the fabric, I am not 100% certain it is epic fabric but sounds similar. Based on weight, it would appear to be a more robust fabric nonetheless.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

If you're concerned with comfort, consider the color. White or a very light beige will be astronomically more comfortable over a wide temperature range. When it's sunny, you often will want to be cooler – something that darker colors cannot provide.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools