Topic

Titanium Sand/Snow Stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Titanium Sand/Snow Stakes

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> these are Sand/Snow Stakes….

No matter what the strength of the aluminium alloy used, the stakes will still freeze in place in the snow under some conditions and be extremely difficult to get out. There will be lots of damage done during extraction. Snow and ice bond to the surface of aluminium something awful. That's not theory; that's hard experience.

And that is why we use Ti snow stakes: snow and ice do not really bond to that metal. They are so much easier to get out. One stomp and they have broken loose from the ice.

Now, for sand – go for it.

Cheers

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

While I do agree with Roger about snow freezing to the surface of aluminum, this can actually be a good thing…. After all, EVERY snow fluke on the market is made from Aluminum. But with an aluminum version. I would most likely not put the holes as it would make the stake much harder to remove… All that said, Don't get me wrong, Titanium is a great metal for this application and the reason I wanted to use it, but the prices for titanium sheet are out of sight compared to the last time I bought some… But, I am going to keep looking…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Aw Gee Lawson – you are definitely but absolutely missing the Ti market!

Go to http://www.titaniumjoe.com/, ask Joe Szigeti there for help (and if you want, tell him I sent you). He may not be a huge amount cheaper, but he sells offcuts of all sizes. You do NOT have to buy full sheets or 500 lb lots.

No-one but a mil/gov contractor buys from the regular Ti suppliers!

Cheers

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Ok I found a deal on some titanium sheet. Not from Titanium Joe… Though he did have some pretty decent prices… I don't want to advertise them, but if you need a small amount of material he seems to be the guy to buy it from. Give him a shout..

I hope people are still interested. Though I might do an aluminum version too : )

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

I'd be interested in titanium ones

Brendan Howe
    BPL Member

@weeman

I'm keen for some titanium snow stakes. Aluminium can be a real pain to remove when they are frozen solid in the morning.

Herman
    BPL Member

@hre814

Locale: Alaska

I'd buy either. Prefer holes.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I am going to do both versions. Holes and no holes and see which ones sell better.. I might even do two sizes. 3"x5" and 4"x7". Anyone up for the larger size? Weight is about 36 grams but man do they hold like a boat anchor… Price would be about $20 each though as they take alot of material and waterjet cutting them is expensive.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Lawson

If you take a look at my articles on Ti trowels and Ti snow stakes, you will see that I recommend using heavy tin snips to cut the Ti sheet. Provided the pivot is solid and the blades are stiff (and the handles long enough!), the stuff is fairly easy to cut.

Drilling with quality HSS drill bits at slow speed also goes well.

Might cut the cost, maybe.

My big Ti deadman anchors which I use at the ends on my tunneels are 3" x 6.5".

Cheers

Terrell Heatherly
    BPL Member

@theturtle

Locale: In the woods

I would buy either ti or al and with or without holes, but I live in the southeast where we have very little snow and would be using these mostly for loose sandy applications as I spend a lot of time on the beach.
    For me personally the aluminum, no holes design sounds great.
    Just my $0.02… :)

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Stakes are instock. Introductory Pricing is as follows..

$10.00 for "Sand Stakes"
    $12.50 for "Snow Stakes"

Basically the difference is the holes… This is an introductory special to BPL members and existing customers subscribed to my newsletter as these prices do not reflect real titanium prices as I was able to get a deal on the material. I did a small batch run of each type to see how they sold and which one was more popular so they won't last long… I have more material so I can make more, but prices will go up..

Thanks,
    Lawson

LawsonEquipment.com

"Snow Stake"
    Snow Stake

"Sand Stake"
    Sand Stake

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Hi Lawson- was wondering if these might be back in stock anytime soon?

thanks

Mike

Hunter H
    BPL Member

@humterghall-2

#HOLES

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools