Topic

help! can’t fix my pucker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear help! can’t fix my pucker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Thomas C
    BPL Member

@wgonfan

Well.. I guess its a pucker. The stitches (straight, 6per inch) on my tie out reinforcements go slack and pucker up on top when tied out. Mpmy stitches look good otherwise and as far as I can tell my tension is balanced out as good as its going to get. I'm using an older sears 1403 zigzag machine, silnylon tarp with 200d reinforcement material and Buyer tera 80 thread. Any idea how I can correct this? I've tried adding sticthes and increasing my bottoms tension, which helped but made sewing a nightmare. I'm sure the is something I'm over looking.

Thomas C
    BPL Member

@wgonfan

I also tried a zigzag stitch which did not help. Again my eyes suck but under a magnify glass the sticthes look good and only pucker when pulled tight against the stictch. Also, I only have reinforcement on one side.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

you might coat those particular stiches with mcnett to keep them from doing that nasty thing.
    are all the other stitches on the thing OK ? just these ones getting puller real hard ?
    thread's going to move form one side to the other in sylnylon. it;s terrible slippery stuff.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Your gonna need a urologist.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Your gonna need a urologist."

For kissing advice? I don't know John, that seems a bit strange…..

David Scheidt

@dscheidt

Consider a sandwich of reinforcement on both sides of the sil. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much your puckering matters. Is it going to leak?

Thomas C
    BPL Member

@wgonfan

"Consider a sandwich of reinforcement on both sides of the sil"

I've tried everything else & I recon this is the only option. I did notice that the ridgeline & side pulls do not stretch & pucker the same away so I think it just has to do with going against the "grain" of the sil.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Your gonna need a urologist."

More like a proctologist I was thinking. Weird the images you can get from a mere thread title if you are as warped as Doug and I.

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

What size needle are you using for an tera 80 thread? Typically an 80wt thread requires a size 18 needle and is used for thicker fabrics. I'd suggest switching to a smaller say 46wt 100% poly thread with a size 14 needle will fix it. If you're going through some thicker material at the tieout points, I wouldn't go beyond a 69wt thread with size 16 needle. I'm no expert but I have had good results with this set up.

Also as many have recommended a roller presser foot is a dream when sewing silnylon, not sure if you've look into those either.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

What Jon said above, sounds like too large a needle to me. Also adjusting your thread tension and doing some tests on scrap fabric could enlighten you as well.

Thomas C
    BPL Member

@wgonfan

I use a #9 & #12 needle depending on my mood.

Thomas C
    BPL Member

@wgonfan

I do practice & adjust & recheck my tensions on scrap, its as close to perfect as I can get it with my machine & my eyes.

Thomas C
    BPL Member

@wgonfan

After doing some reading this morning I think Jon is right… I need smaller thread or a bigger needle. I prefer smaller holes so I'm going to try & find some smaller thread today & see if that has any effect.

Thomas C
    BPL Member

@wgonfan

First, I was wrong… That Tera 80 is actually 35wt thread & not 80wt thread as someone suggested.

I fixed my puckering issue by stitching radially out from the corner, with the grain.

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

"You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?. You just put your lips together and blow."

Good advice from Lauren Bacall to Humphery Bogart.

Ain't gonna help the sewing any but might brighten yer day!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools