Topic

Better quilt design?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Better quilt design?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

I saw this recently and some of the innovations, like the arm flaps and the hood-like flap with breathing hole seemed pretty useful… I wonder, can this be redesigned with light materials and synthetic insulation into a sub 16 oz 35-40 degree UL quilt? I feel like a MYOG expert might be able to really turn this into something useful… thoughts?

https://www.sierradesigns.com/product/backcountry-quilt-800-2-season

(edited for grammar)

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

I really like the look of that, I'd be interested to see a cottage company or MYOG version in lighter fabrics.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

HERE is a 6 page thread on this quilt from last year

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Thanks for providing the link Link ;)

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Thanks for that link, somehow I missed that thread. I'd like to see someone do a MYOG version with some UL fabric and synthetic fill… do you think we could take it down to 16 ounces without losing any features or making it smaller? I don't know much about fabric differences, but with lighter fabric I bet it could be lighter without changes… I could also give up some of that hood/breathing slit space… I like the idea that it can be pulled over your head, but maybe it could be made a little smaller for side or stomach sleepers who don't need that vent area?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools