Topic

MYOG Golite Breeze / ULA Conduit Franken-ruck

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Golite Breeze / ULA Conduit Franken-ruck

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I built a new ski pack a couple weeks ago (haven't shared photos of it yet) and with my pack building motivation running high I decided to move right into a project I've had on my bucket list for a long time.

I've heavily modified multiple Golite Jam Packs but have always yearned for the utter simplicity of a ruck styled after Jardine's original design that manifested itself commercially as the Golite Breeze. I borrowed elements pretty heavily from my beloved ULA Conduit and Amp packs, some tidbits from Risk's JJPack, as well as the inspiration of myriad other MYOG frameless rucks I've seen over the years.

breezuit-front

breezuit-back

breezuit-right

breezuit-sidepocket

breezuit-topbuckle

breezuit-pattern

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Very interesting. I see that you shot those photographs in the factory assembly room when the rest of the staff was away.

–B.G.–

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Sorry but I didn't feel like asking any of folks around me to pose in the photos for you, Bob.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Looks great Sam! Glad you're back, by the way:)

That is one sweet pack. I love all the packs you mentioned (although not familiar with Risk's pack yet) so this is a nice conglomeration of ideas.

Will 1L bladders sit securely in the side pockets? I like the tall main exterior mesh pocket a lot.

Please do report back with how it performs!

Todd

Michael Pappas

@mpap89

Locale: bay area

That looks a bit like the goruck factory…

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

I designed the side pockets for 1L bottles – hoping it works in practice. And yes, that is in fact GORUCK, I am project manager for new product developmet at GR. Good eye.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Nice Pack!

Had a Breeze knockoff on my MYOG wishlist until I scored a well used real thing on the gear swap forum. Add a unpadded belt and it should be perfect for my twice annual backpacking trail maintenance weekends (SHT north of Two Harbors)

Ditto on the welcome back remarks and good to see you landed back in the outdoor products industry. Color me jealous of your access to that production floor.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Hey, Jim good to hear from you. Access to a bartacker and double needler is very handy. I'll be curious to see if I end up putting a hipbelt on it after a few trips. I rarely use the stabilizer belt on my Amp so we'll see.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I am project manager for new product developmet at GR. Good eye."

Congrats, Sam

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Nice looking pack.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

That's a handsome pack. The simplicity is very appealing. The thing that stands out to me is the mesh material. What kind of mesh is that? Is that "Leno" mesh?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Colin this is a polyester mesh with approximately 3/16" holes weighing around 1.8oz / sq. yd. While I'm on the subject, the pack body is 200d Cordura, the straps are 200d on top and spacer mesh underneath. The bound edges of the mesh pockets are 1000d Cordura. Inside is 3/4 grosgrain binding on all the seams. 1" and 3/4" nylon webbing make up the straps.

Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

Locale: Sierra Nevadas

That's a clean looking pack. Nice work. What's the weight?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Darren, I know it's blasphemy but I haven't put it on a scale yet! I did get a volume read on it though and the main body of the pack (below the extension collar) is right at 40L (2440 cu. in.).

*edit May 2nd, 2014 – after taking pack out for an overnighter I fixed a couple weak spots and bound all inside seams. Final weight is 13.52 oz.

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

I really like the look of this pack, super rugged yet simple. Curious to hear results without a hip belt with the shape, I've been wanting to try to create similar size but couldn't decide on suspension. I really dig it.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Thanks, Jon. I've found that with proper packing and of course lightweight gear choices, a frameless ruck with no hip stabilizer can work great. If you're hoisting around a lot of gear and need to transfer weight from shoulders to hips and then back to shoulders off an on throughout the day then this design won't be practical.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

I posted up some pictures and a description of the "Ski Pack" I spoke of in my original post if you're interested.

Ron Jameson
    BPL Member

@tigerpaws

Locale: Upstate SC

Hey Sam Any plans to bring pack to market? Ron

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Hi Sam,

Very nice work on a very cleanly designed and executed pack build. ;-)

I recognized the pics of the factory too. All I can say is that I am supremely envious of what you have available to you for MYOG.

IMHO you've got the dream job. Hats off to those people you work with for what they do and for what they have done for us.

Party On,

Newton ;-)

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Ron, I built this pack for myself and my own needs. I have no plans to go into business building and selling packs myself, no. Although I do have access to a nice large cutting table and some specific machines such as a bartacker and binder this pack could definitely be sewn on my home machine (vintage Singer) too. It's just a bit faster on the industrial equipment.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, John!

George Tate Hunt

@tripplespill

Great looking pack Sam!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Appreciate it, George.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Took this ruck out for an overnighter about two weeks ago and got a feel for what worked and what didn't. I brought it into the shop today and fixed a couple weak spots as well as put binding tape along all inside seams. Final weight is 13.52 oz.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools