Topic

Color camping photo … from Tsarist Russia

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Color camping photo … from Tsarist Russia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Here's a neat little find from a color photo (using an additive film technique of the primary colors) slideshow on Wired.com showing some tarps and Russians camping in 1909 .. not exactly LNT but it's over 100 years old(screenshot from weblink below)

screenshot Tsarist era camping

This was commissioned by the Tsar to capture Russian life at that time. Click the slideshow then the actual photo afterwards for a magnified view, I just think it's pretty neat to capture something in color from that era and wonder what's the story? (accessed March 2014):

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2014/03/prokudin-gorskii-photos-russia/#slide-id-160201

jh
    Spectator

@woodpewee

I've looked through this series often. Every photo is amazing. The few of Tolstoy are special.

But I hadn't taken much notice of this one before. Nice A-frame!

BTW: All of these photos are published in a very large book. I found it at a local university library several years ago…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Colour photography in 1909? Apparently so.
    But amazingly high quality for 1909.

Cheers

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Reading the last sentence of the original article, there has been some polishing over time but the link to the original images on file on the Library of Congress are still pretty amazing. Some have the color prints staggered at the border to show the technique.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools