Topic

Stairways of San Francisco – 568 Stairways in 4 Days

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Stairways of San Francisco – 568 Stairways in 4 Days

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Stairways of San Francisco
    a.k.a. 568 Stairways in 4 Days

In early March, we (Amy and James) together with a small group of friends, took a fabulous 4-day 82-mile walk through the city of San Francisco. The route was designed to include as many public stairways as possible. This was a five-star trip, and all of us had a boatload of fun.

The initial inspiration for our trip came from these two posts from Bobcat – Part 1 and Part 2. We are indebted to Bobcat for the inspiration, and for sharing his track, which we used to help design our own route.

stairs-1
    Photo: top of the stairway that connects Brewster and Franconia Streets.

Resources

The fine book Stairway Walks of San Francisco describes 30 very short loop hikes and describes points of interest. If you’re considering walking any of the San Francisco stairways it is absolutely worth buying the book because of the descriptions of neighborhoods, buildings, and historical notes.

The CommunityWalk.com website has a nice page showing the location of dozens of the most scenic stairways, and you can download a kml file of the data.

This fine podcast episode about urban stairways from Roman Mars at 99 Percent Invisible gives a bit of history and flavor.

Route Planning

We followed the route shown in this CalTopo map. We made a few wrong turns and found a few dead-ends, so we have also produced a modified version of our route that makes numerous minor improvements on the route we followed; this version is be a better starting point to plan your own trip. If you like or use these CalTopo maps, please make a donation to Bay Area Mountain Rescue as a way of thanking CalTopo for their fantastic free service.

As Bobcat mentions in his post, preparing for this trip was very time consuming. We wanted to walk ~20 miles per day for four days. We wanted to take in as many stairways as possible. We wanted to design the route to end two of the days’ walks at two homes where we spent nights. We wanted to visit the top of most of the city's hills. We wanted diverse scenery. We tried not to double back and walk anything twice. All of this made for some very convoluted route choices.

To plan the route, I started by adding data from several sources to my google Earth dataset: Bobcat’s track, the pins from CommunityWalk, and the 30 loops from the book. Then I exported it all to CalTopo where I could view all that information on OpenStreetMap. There is a symbol for stairways in the OSM rendering on CalTopo, and some generous users have added hundreds of SF stairways to the OSM database. Thus I could view the OSM map and create our own route plan that incorporated many stairways that are not included in the book.

We were fortunate in having places to stay for the night. Alternatives for other people without that resource include the myriads of types of public lodging available in the city, including a couple of hostels for those on a budget. The hostel near Fort Mason is particularly nice. San Francisco has an extensive public transit network, so getting to and from starting and ending points is easy. Get the Rover app for your smart phone, which makes real time trip planning incredibly easy. Tell the app where you are and where you want to go and it returns the public transit info with the nearest stops on both ends of you journey as well as when the next bus or trolley will arrive.

Route Summary:

• Day 1: We met at the Luen Fat Bakery in Visitacion Valley (easy access from CalTrain or MUNI) and walked to Tower Market, near Portola and O’Shaughnessey. ~19 miles and 5600’ gain. We spent the night nearby at Amy's brother’s house.
    • Day 2: We walked from Amy's brother’s house to a friend’s house in the Castro. Total for the day was ~21 miles and 6000’ gain. We got a very early start so we could watch the sunrise from the top of Mount Davidson. The sun was setting before we were done with our planned route so we cut out a loop through Buena Vista Park.
    • Day 3: We walked from our friend’s house to the Ferry Building. Dinner at the Ferry Building watching The Bay Lights, and MUNI back to our friend’s house. ~21 miles and 3700’ gain.
    • Day 4: We took MUNI back to the Ferry Building, and walked to Ocean Beach. ~21 miles and 5000’ gain.

What's a Stairway Walk?

Bobcat describes one list of self-imposed rules for taking a Stairway Walk. We didn't follow those guidelines exactly, but we did have a great time engaging in the game of finding stairways. We had to set up our own rules as we went along as to what constitutes a stairway, because the five of us started talking about accumulating points, one point per stairway climbed or descended. Points are good for something (not sure what, but Saint Peter's name was bandied about). By our definition, we climbed at least 568 Stairways (the number may be higher as Amy had to remember to drop a waypoint for each Stairway as we walked along; almost certainly a few were missed) that met these criteria:

• Public.
    • Outdoors.
    • Part of the landscape, not stairs to or on a building unless the building itself is the primary feature of the landscape, such as the steps up an old military battery.
    • At least three steps. On our first day I don't think we had any Stairways less than about eight steps. But on the second day we walked a block of Ulloa Street, where the street is 5 or 6 steps away from the sidewalk, and each house has a set of public steps that leads from the sidewalk to the street. We zig-zagged to climb all 27 of them, and our unanimous opinion was that they constituted individual Stairways. So we established our rule that it must have a minimum of three steps to count.
    • Separated from other nearby Stairways by some boundary. Our boundaries included crossing a road or changing from uphill to downhill (i.e. to the top of a hill constituted one stairway; down the other side of the hill was a second stairway)
    • A large distance between flights. A flight of stairs, a ten foot landing, another flight of stairs — that's only one Stairway. If the Stairway is on a trail through a large park, and the "landing" is 50 or 100 feet before the next flight, that's still one Stairway. But sometimes trail segments between flights were 300 or 500 feet. When it got ambiguous, Amy was the sole judge, and the decision was based on gut feel.
    • Ladders didn't count. But landscaped steps to the top of a slide in a playground did count.
    • Individuals in our group earned bonus points (aka BoPos) by climbing Stairways that were not on the official route but were easily accessible from it. For instance, Union Square has many sets of stairs that lead to the same place and the official route doesn't climb all the variations, but some individuals did.

Overall Assessment: was it satisfying?

James:
    This was a terrific walk that was a lot more fun than I expected. Given the distance and gain we had each day, we were nicely tuckered out by the end of each day and felt like we had really taken a hike instead of just a walk in the city. Being San Francisco, another nice thing that I enjoyed was that when you were hungry, there was always some decent place nearby to get something to eat, the food options have tremendous variety and most of them are good. The architectural variety of the city was also something I had never really understood previously. Every house is different in some way and the neighborhoods are eclectic, colorful and often have a nice small-town feel to them. I also liked the Stairways that are officially named City streets with house address on them, but are only accessible by foot. Some of these foot accessible only streets actually had foot accessible only cross streets as well. And then you get a big vista with the Bay, the Marin Headlands, and the Pacific to remind you that the city is actually not so big at only about 47 square miles. Little things like a public rope swing on the side of a hill, murals on the walls, beautiful mosaic tile Stairways, and privately made, but publicly displayed art all enhanced the experience. Walking in remote mountains is great, but hiking urban places that are close to home have wonderful rewards as well.

Amy:
    I loved everything about this hike, and I put it in my list of five-star trips we've taken.

• The company was great.
    • The big vistas were fantastic. We were nearly always in hilly neighborhoods, with big views of the ocean, the bay, the Golden Gate, the bridges, the Marin hills, the east bay hills. I liked crossing the tops of so many hills with their terrific views, and we had a long view in at least one direction for nearly the entire trip.
    • San Francisco neighborhoods are vibrant, diverse, and beautiful. We think we live in perhaps the most beautiful urban area in the world.
    • Gardens, gardens, and more gardens. Private gardens in yards. Community vegetable garden plots. Stairways landscaped in a cottage garden style by neighborhood volunteers. Gardens designed to attract butterflies. Publicly funded formal landscape installations. Magnolias, Camelias, Azelias, Ceanothus, and many others all in full bloom.
    • Art everywhere. Public and private artwork. Whimsical art, like the UFO perched on a roof along a stairway corridor. Unexpected little artistic displays tucked into the corners of gardens, from plastic flamingos to lifesize welded bears. And world-class exhibits like The Bay Lights and the di Suvero installation at Crissy Field (which closes in May 2014).
    • The Stairway theme was a fun game and provided a focus that helped unify the trip.

Steve:
    I lived in San Francisco for 27 years but realize after this walk I hadn’t scratched the surface. This city is loaded with whimsy, life, and a bold sense of humor.

Lasting impressions of note? Havens and Harry Streets, named staircase streets with no vehicular access to the wonderful homes on them. There are others, of course, but these stood out for me. And the two tiled staircases in Golden Gate Heights neighborhood. They are a must see, and my advice is not to look at any images of what they are ahead of time, so they come as a complete surprise. Also, definitely start at the their tops and work your way down so they unfold. Don’t make the mistake of starting at the bottom and walking up. Better to get to know these works of art a little at a time than have them displayed in their entirety right from the start.

Tim:
    A superb four day event verifying the positive facets of SF's reputation as one of the World cities that deserves to be called The City.

Birds

As readers of this forum may have noted from past trip reports, we look for birds on our walks and this trip was no exception. We observed 75 species over the four day period as we benefited from the many large and small green spaces scattered throughout the city, as well as portions of its Bay and Pacific ocean waterfront habitats. A couple of Say's Pheobes were unexpected as well as hearing a calling House Wren in Glen Canyon. We were excited to see a Peregrine Falcon harassing a Red-tailed Hawk who was minding his own business perched high on a billboard overlooking Union Square. And the famous parrots of Telegraph Hill were abundant and noisy.

Photos:

Our full photo show is here at Smugmug. Here are a few images that give a sense for the diversity and character of the hike.

stairs2

stairs3

stairs5

stairs6

stairs7

stairs8

stairs9

stairs10

stairs11

stairs12

stairs13

stairs14

stairs15

stairs15

stairs16

stairs16

stairs17

stairs18

stairs19

stairs20

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Amy,

Cool adventure and report! You inspired me to try the same trip.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Neat adventure similar to what is in Los Angeles. Hope this type of hiking (for both practice and on its own merit) spreads to other cities.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Amy, that goes down as the most unique BPL trip report ever. I applaud your creativity. Thanks for reaffirming that SF is perhaps the planet's funkiest city.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I love it. The documentation is greatly appreciated too. The next time I am in SF I may have to do just such an outing. We usually ride our bikes up through Marin, but this is a cool alternative and I could skip the bikepacking. :)

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

What a GREAT trip idea. Urban exploration and "backyard trips" have some many great untapped options!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Wonderful!

I rely on a lot of in (or near) town training hikes with route planning based on "I never met a hill or stairway I didn't like". But I've never found a route as ambitious as this one (or even close).

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Excellent! I love San Francisco and what a great way to see all the nooks and crannies that make the city so special

There is a stairway walk book on Seattle too. As well as several urban walk guides. Urban hiking is a great pastime, making you part of the surroundings and healthy too.

I love walking the streets of a foreign city, taking in the daily life of the residents and all the littles details of life. Of course it is just as effective in my own city. After getting back to hiking, I came to realize that walking from my home to the city center was no more than a middling day hike and far easier, so I could do it at a good clip. There is no need to take the noisy main streets except for bridges, so there are many opportunities to explore along the way. With a little change in my pocket, I can walk even farther and just take a bus to return home.

Urban hiking is a great way to test your clothing system, review new snacks, get familiar with your navigation tools, or even have a hot meal in a park.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Unreal!
    My compliments.

Cheers

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"There is a stairway walk book on Seattle too. As well as several urban walk guides. Urban hiking is a great pastime, making you part of the surroundings and healthy too. "

After reading this TR and listening to Snorkel's interview on The Trail Show this month, I'm motivated to try something like this.

Dale,

You talking about this one?

http://www.seattlestairwaywalks.com/get-the-book/

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That's the book. I've been waiting to spot a used one :)

I could see a PBS travel show on this travel niche

In San Francisco we walked from Union Square to Chinatown, up to Grace Cathedral, down to the house where Jack Kerouac wrote On the Road, on to Washington Square and City Lights Books, back to Chinatown for dinner, returning to Union Square. That was a good day hike.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Wow. I have heard about complex route planning, but this is the first real one I have heard of mathematically classifiable as NP-complete. With 568 nodes it would probably take a super-computer days to solve this "Traveling Salesman Problem". Fantastic!

Also, I bet that that is about the best tour of San Fransisco imaginable.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Hey Amy yet another GREAT trip report from you ! I assume you have followed triple crowner Liz Thomas on her BLOG and her urban adventures such as her 5.5 day hike thru Los Angeles last year,it's worth reading if you haven't.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Amy,

Great trip idea. Very creative. Well done! Good motivation to go seek out some urban fun.

Glenn F
    BPL Member

@gfishermac-com

Thank you for this posting.  We just did 3 half-day hikes along parts of your route.  We did Russian Hill area on a on-and-off sprinkly afternoon, the area along 19th with a side trip to the Harry St. Steps, and a walk out Green to the Lyon St Steps then back along that section. (We were staying in the Fisherman’s Wharf area.) We followed your route as much as possible, occasionally taking some other stairs we found or detouring around stairs.  Our favorites were Vallejo around Taylor – fantastic views and lots of blocks with stairs!; Macondray Lane, Havens St. and a little L we found going up Redfield Alley which connects to a wonderful set of informal steps going up Marion Lane to Union St, and the Lyon St Stairs.  My wife grew up in SF and had a lot of fun with stairs she never new existed – especially the Lyon St, which had fantastic views

If we’d had a bit more time, we would have added the North Beach Museum and the Beat Museum to our itinerary, since they’re not far off your track.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

5th-Gen SFer here (now in Kenai, Alaska).  On business travel, I NEVER go to the hotel “fitness center”.  I either walk around town or go up and down the hotel’s fire-escape staircases.  These trips would combine those, plus urban sightseeing, bird- and people-watching.
    Well done!

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Glenn F, We’re glad that you enjoyed your stairway outings.

Jim and I had so much fun on this 2014 hike that we continue to use this route. In 2015, we broke the route into eight walks of about ten miles each and did about one per month as day hikes. We invited friends to bring their friends and called it a walking party. We repeated the series in 2016 and have now walked all of it three times. We have started the 2017 series.

Each time we walk it we make minor adjustments. And we added two more legs so we have ten walks for a total of about a hundred miles. The route just gets better and better. When I have time I’m going to write it up as a route guide.

Amy

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

And for those who might be wondering: yes that is a picture of a wild parrot. There’s a long story about how they became established in S.F.

Oddly, I’m in the East Bay and I don’t think they’ve made it here…I could be wrong.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools