Topic

Modular Sleep Setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Modular Sleep Setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I thought I would share my new sleep setup and get some feedback or thoughts. I think it belongs in the multi-use section…i think.

1 Arc AT (9.75 oz)
    1 Montbell UL Half Sleeve (6.5 oz)
    1 pair arm warmers (2.5 oz)

For 18.75 oz, i get a full length sleep system, a 3/4 quilt, a long sleeve insulated jacket, a vest, and arm warmers to wear with my t-shirt.
    The logic was that since my Arc AT reaches just below my armpits, there was no need for sleeves on my torso insulation. The arm warmers can be worn while sleeping if I find I pull my arms from under the quilt alot during the night. But I can also slide the arm warmers on and off during the day if I get a chill with my t-shirt, or when I get to camp with my Montbell Half sleeve for warmth.
    For reference – This summer setup is replacing a marmot hydrogen and a Arcteryx long sleeve. I will be leaving this Friday for 5 days on the La Cloche Silhouette trail, and if there is interest, I can report on the performance of this setup.
    Steve

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Steve, part of your modular sleep system is enroute. See the PM please.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Brett,
    Thanks again – you are fast. I still can't believe it is cheaper and faster for me to buy from you (Japan) then from my neighbour (US). Sending the funds now.

Comments on the sleep system though? Keep in mind that this will be for warm summer temps only – until I get comfortable with it, and push to see how far I can go.

Brett .

@brett1234

Steve, your system is more advanced than mine, what with integrating a short ("elephants foot"?) bag and sleeveless down jacket so your bare arms can be stuck down in the bag; that's the first time I have heard of anyone doing that; very clever.
    Regarding pusing a system to its limits; I'm not sure what you consider warm summertime temperatures for Canada(!?), but 5cm of double layer loft should get you down to -5C. Here in Japan I pushed a light three layer Montbell system down to about 0'C and slept on snow: wool-1 base layer, Thermawrap jacket(250g), and #7 zipperless down bag(4+cm loft at 460g).
    Please report back on the success of your system! (If you don't return we will also consider that a 'report' ha ha..)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Whats an arc at? I gather the montbell is a half bag? Are the arm warmers the things bikers use?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thanks..let us know how it works out and what low temp it might work to.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

I just used this setup for 5 days in Killarney. Killarney is about 4 hours north of Toronto, so the temps were very high, with only one night dropping to about 13C. I ended up sleeping in my bivy with the Arc AT beside me, and just pulled it over every once in a while if I got a little cold. I'll probably have to wait until the fall for a full review and to test what type of temps this setup can take me too. Comfort wise, the setup is great. I use my arm warmers in the morning with my t-shirt to keep the morning chill out, and put my half sleeve jacket on in the evenings around the fire. During the night, I just place the jacket over my torso if I get cold, didn't even bother wearing it with these temps. I did however require the arm warmers when sleeping as I kept pulling my arms out – maybe some training can change that though. Hope this helps someone.
    Steve

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Steven, keep me up to date on how the AT works for you. I've had my eye on that for some time, but haven't figured out the best way to integrate everything. (And I'd rather not drop $213 and find out it's not going to work).

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Mr. Gardner, you'll be happy to know I took this system down to 6C over the weekend with no issues what-so-ever. I was in a Double Rainbow sleeping on a Montbell 90 self inflating pad wearing a light base layer. I do have to mention that the half sleeve jacket is becoming a nuisance…so much so that I have sent Brett an e-mail to get me a MB Down Parka as the temps are dropping quick here, and I really want to see what I can oush this system to. My next trip will be the Oct 19th weekend (but we're going far north, and I suspect temps will be closer to freezing, if not at freezing…very good for my testing strategy. Keep you posted.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I'm thinking about getting the Thermawrap jacket and doing a similar setup – versus the Montbell Down jacket. Any thought on how this would compare?

Brett .

@brett1234

Checked again last week, still not in stock in Japan, but they are in the US.. strange. But then its still not cold here; maybe they send the first stock to colder climates.
    Ill post and email when they are in stock.

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

Steve: Im glad to see that someone else uses arm warmers! I always get made fun of for sporting these, but I am toasty and they dry superfast. I especially like to wear em with a sleeveless top to let the pits breathe. Now that I think of it, that would probably look pretty silly on a guy. ;)

Brett: Just curious, whats the price difference between montbelljapan and montbellusa for the down jackets.

Margaret

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Ryan, I have very little experience with synthetics. I tend to go with down as moisture is not so much an issue up here. That said, i will be experimenting with vapour barriers this season – hopefully being able to use a down bag for extended trips. We'll see.

Brett, this weekend was coming fast so i went ahead and ordered a MB Down Inner Parka directly from Montbell US – ended up costing a bunch more…and now it waits at the post office where duty fees will clean me out. I'll pick it up tonight though.

Margaret, although I am getting rid of the Half Sleeve MB for the full sleeve parka, i will still bring the arm warmers as they eliminate the need to pack a long sleeve shirt. I just slip them on and off when the wind picks up. They come in at 2.5 oz. As for the style factor – let's just say I'm pretty hard to resist when I sport a short sleeved down jacket, arm warmers and electric blue thermal tights with my homemade UL sandals…get in line ladies!

Mr. Cool

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

Thanx for brightening my day, Steve.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Hubba Hubba! ;-)

Besides the camp sandals, nothing wrong with that photo ;-)

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

"The men of lightweight hiking calendar"

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

The Arc AT looks great, but hardly multiple use. For us "Tossers & Turners" who have trouble sleeping in a top bag, I suggest a pair of MB UL down pants. (Note: Never try to google "down pants"!!!!!) These come in about the same weight, but seem much more versatile.

Just a thought.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Agreed, the AT is not multi-use. The "multi use" label doesn't come from the AT alone. It was referring to the whole setup as being multi-use. So, you can use the items for sleeping, and as clothing for a great range of temps….making them multi-use.

The AT is tight, but with the use of the jacket, I don't kick it off too much. I am a tosser and find I just have to try a little harder to keep things in place.

Another reason for the thread was info for others in general. I couldn't find much info when I was looking at the AT, so maybe this will help someone decide.
    Now, if only the temps would get a little lower, I'd see what I can push this system to. I went for an overnighter last weekend and the low was 13C…warmer then when I went out in August!

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

The down pants are no where near as warm as an AT for the weight either.

Brett .

@brett1234

In a recent add for UL down here, MB did not even picture the UL down parka; maybe it will never be sold here.
    Sorry I could not come through on that one for you.. :(

Brett .

@brett1234

Margaret,
    The difference depends on the dollar/yen exchange rate. MB rarely goes on sale here in Japan, except last years stuff at the outlet.
    You can check the prices here and then convert to $$. Let me know if you want anything. Shipping will be about $15/lb for insured airmail.
    http://en.montbell.jp/products/
    English language Japanese site..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools