Topic

Rei dividends are here =)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rei dividends are here =)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

It's quite simple Doug, you just order that small synmat UL7 and have it delivered to my house. Easy as pie!!

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

"Are the dividends transferable? How could someone else spend mine?"

You can request a check and cash it. Then give the money to someone else. Or load a gift card with your dividend and gift that.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"you just order that small synmat UL7 and have it delivered to my house."

Ha! You sold your house. I can't be tricked that easily…..

Marc Loomis
    Spectator

@th12t33n

I used my refund to buy the new Garmin 64s bundle, with the free map download.

Wanna hear something funny about that? The free map isnt available for download "IT department", is having a problem now an will email me within the next couple of days when its up and running.

Well I got mine last Friday, got home started messing with it figured out I couldn't find the map download. Well unfortunately I called about 10 mins to late. Then had to wait till Monday to get someone on the phone. An well that is what I was told.

I told them they needed to "take care of me", an was assured the map would be available in the next few days online an ready for me to download. So i proceeded to ask him what he could do for me and that i would like that rechargeable battery pack for it. He said i can do that, then i said i sure do like that tempe wireless sensor, he said well get that set out right away as well, and i said That backpack lanyard does that fit the 64s? His reply, well we have 3 items awaiting processing to be shipped to your address"

Id say that they handled it in a great way, that is if my map comes up for download in the next few days.

Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

My 2013 REI dividend: $34. Last year I used the 20% discount on a Klymit Inertia X Frame pad. After I returned it, REI restored my 20% discount. I like REI.

Spending it on?

maybe a Benchmade knife or an Exped UL Down mat pad.

maybe a Thermarest RidgeRest foam pad for no-fail insulation.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Save20 code also gives you 20% off an item on rei-outlet.com that ends in $.73.

The have the Flash 45 Pack in Med and Large for 89.73, so discounted to $72. This might be a great pack for scouts or backpackers just getting started.

h h

@yh001

Locale: New England

I am $1.16 richer!

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Locale: Central Sierra Nevada's

REI Visa used for business expenses got me a new pair of Salomon Speedcross, an Exped UL pillow, new sawyer mini filter, and a few new pairs of ex-officio underwear. And best part was I got a free $100.00 gift card for signing up with it and I never paid one red cent of interest using the card this year. I use it for business or for gas etc. and pay it at the end of the week to make sure I never get dinged.

Not pushing the card I was just saying how awesome is that….???

Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

I just got mine and the gift card in time for the dividend return.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Shawn me lad, just remember O'Toole's Corollary to Murphy's Law:

"Murphy was an optimist."

But, being an optimist like Murphy, I'm putting my $35. dividend (and hopefully my two daughters b'day gift cards) towards a NeoAir X-Lite. I'm optimistic that the crinklng noise will die down with use.

But if not I'll conveniantly roll around to cover the noise of my f@rts. (Of course God made f@rts smell for the benefit of the deaf, that aspect cannot be concealed.

afterdarkphoto
    BPL Member

@afterdarkphoto

Locale: Central Sierra Nevada's

HAHAH i laughed pretty hard at your post. well played sir…

M Blick

@mattblick

Locale: Ohio

Went in at lunch today to try out the Neoair. Didn't like the noise, yet not loud enough to mask synchronized flatulence. Will keep using my Prolite (for now).

So I was in REI, armed with a dividend, 20% off coupon, a debit card from some rebate, and some laundered funds (wife doesn't know about) and asked myself, "what item (I don't need) will the 20% off coupon be best used on?" Another tent.

My "heavy" BA Lynx Pass 1(3 lb 8 oz trail wt) will be garaged this season for my new BA Fly Creek 1 (2 lb 1 oz trail wt).

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

….So I'm not the only one who does this

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I love this thread because I get to relive the excitement of meeting my friends on Christmas morning at the park to discuss what Santa brought us circa 1975ish.

My dividend was much larger than expected. GoPro Black was looking pretty dang awesome but I had to show some restraint and defer that purchase until later this summer. I ended up walking out of the store with a new pair of La Sportiva Wildcats, Injinji socks, a new hydration belt for running (jogging with asthmatic wheezing in my case) and received change.

The change of course was spent next door at Rite Aid on Gorilla Tape so my 10 y/o son could attach a wooden bayonet and binoculars to his toy rifle in an attempt to simulate a Mosin Nagant 1891/30 PU sniper rifle. I, of course, was thoroughly entertained watching him run around the backyard reenacting scenes from The Big Red One, Enemy at the Gates, etc.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

After literally catching my mother-in-law a few times on slippery, muddy trails on Kauai last weekend, I ordered her Black Diamond trekking poles – the ones she planned to get BEFORE the trip, but was waiting for the 20% sale (a child-of-a-child-of-the-depression mindset). So I ordered a pair for her, 20% off on $159 less my $61 dividend. And that leaves my FIL their 20% coupon for something else.

And before you call me the best SIL ever (like she does), she did pick up the tab for all the kids and grandkids on Kauai last week.

On credit card dividends – those coming mostly out of the pockets of merchants. They'd prefer cash, but credit cards avoids bounced checks, and enable eCommerce. One's credit card incentives comes out of those merchant fees plus some from the idiots who carry a balance at 18%. My cc gives me 1 frequent flyer mile per dollar and I find miles to be worth 1.5 cents on average. REI's card gives 1% on non-REI purchases, so I've never gone that route.

Thomas Davenport
    Spectator

@thomasdavenport

I get the idea of the REI CC, but I think one is better off with some of the cash back promos out there. . . for example, I get a bit over 1% back at the end of the year on all purchases on my credit card — additionally, if I shop through the member portal on just about any online merchant's site, I get additional money back, anywhere from 2% to 8%. In my January statement each year I get a credit to my account. This year's was $550, last year's was $500, and the year before was $650.

Oh. . . my dividend was $88.32. . . SOLE insoles, REI insulated mug, Summit stuff sack. . .

M Blick

@mattblick

Locale: Ohio

MG – "So I'm not the only one who does this"

I learned about it ~15 years ago from a 76 year old man named Hector who I flyfished with. He said having laundered funds to buy new fly rods was an important element in his successful 50 years' marriage.

While I am a Padawan in that I tuck away "lunch money", rebate checks and rebate debit cards; Hector was a Jedi Master. He convinced his daughter to open a credit card account and issue him a linked card. All of his clandestine purchases were on a bill delivered to his daughter's house. My daughter is 8, but the day is coming..

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Last weekend for the coupon. Use it or lose it. Got some Brooks today. Still hope to find something good at the outlet.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I got a thermarest x/lite women's version.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Just used mine for a Garmin Edge 1000. Should be a fun toy if it works. Too bad gps devices weren't included in the 20 percent off sale.

Virginia Craft
    Spectator

@as-it-is

It's amazing, you can buy hundreds of dollars of gear from REI, return most of it (per their lenient return policy), and still receive a dividend based on the amount you spent before returns!

Not that that happened to me or anything…. *shifty eyes* o.O

Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools