Topic

Rodgers creek safe to cross in early season?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Rodgers creek safe to cross in early season?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris .
    BPL Member

@cwb

Locale: Los Angeles

I got a call from the Yosemite ranger station yesterday saying that they were not going to approve my permit for the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne for late June because they said Rodgers Creek may be impassable that early in the season. Based on the snowpack, I am having a hard time believing that will be the case, but having never set eyes on this particular spot before, I am leery of telling the ranger I will be ok. I will be taking my less experienced 12 year old on this hike and am concerned that we may have to turn back. Anyone with experience crossing Rodgers Creek about this time of year in a low snow summer?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

your personal safety is one thing.
    your 12 year olds safety is quite another.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

No experience in other years will really tell you exactly what to expect this year. Just remember that you don't have to cross the creek, ever.

And more people die in the creeks and rivers in Yosemite than all other causes put together.

One possibility—you'll find a great fat tree across the creek within 10 feet of the trail and just waltz across. Another possibility–you'll find the creek roaring, and deep enough that you can't tell how deep it is. You'll turn around and go back the way you came.

We've done both.

And anything in between is possible.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

I think most of the creeks along this route used to be bridged. Return Creek still is but it sounds like the bridges for Rodgers and Register Creeks have washed away.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

It is easy to kill oneself in Yosemite with little difficulty.

If the rangers are preventing you from doing something that they believe is unsafe, they are likely doing you a favor.

If you havent read "Death in Yosemite", its a good way to learn from the mistakes of others.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I did this hike in a higher snow year MUCH earlier in the year. Late June in not exactly early season. I would call BS in my case. Your case with a 12 yo may be different. My standard tends to be…. If you have to ask the question then you probably know the answer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools