Topic

Because I like you!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Because I like you!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    L Lanian
    BPL Member

@lanian

Locale: California, U.S.A.

Hey everyone. I've been a long time lurker, and a semi-recent subscriber. I find the backpacking community to be very helpful and considerate (which is more than can be said of day-hikers). On that note, some people may be readers who enjoy a good book once in awhile. Personally, I backpack to write and brainstorm. While I do keep a blog, my true passion is fiction.

So from one backpacker to another, here is a link to my book:
    amazon.com/dp/B00I9FSQ68

Yep. I wrote that.
    And because I like you guys so much, I'm letting you know when it will be free (non-nature lovers have to pay full price!)
    March 20-21
    It's science fiction/mystery with philosophy and religion- Think The Brothers Karamazov mixed with Game of Thrones, but in the future. Ambitious, ne? (While not overtly graphic, I wouldn't recommend it to readers under 18.)

I hope you all enjoy it, and maybe we can talk about it if we ever cross paths on the trail.

Feel free to PM/post questions! My two favorite things to talk about are writing and backpacking.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The author's name is different and I just wanted to confirm that the book is "Rights" by JT Hatley before pulling the trigger.

Nice offer but meh… it's $5. Consider it me buying you a cup of coffee.

L Lanian
    BPL Member

@lanian

Yep, that's me. I usually have handles for forums, etc.
    Thanks. Hope you enjoy!

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

So, do you actually manage to write while on the trail? Longhand, or electronic? I get ideas while I'm hiking but then I don't end up writing them down until I get home because my handwriting is so atrocious.

L Lanian
    BPL Member

@lanian

It's funny- I'll get great ideas on the trail, but if I wait to write them down I'll inevitably forget. If it's on the trail, I'll stop, scribble a few notes to remind me so when I've set up camp I can write down the rest.
    My handwriting is pathetic, but even at its worse I can still pick out the parts that will jog my memory.

Journal 1

If possible, I like to spend a full day at a location, where I find a nice lonely spot to write.
    Like on a cliff.
    Cliffside

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Since you started another thread regarding your gear list, this is probably a good time to direct you to the two most important gear threads ever on BPL.

Which Pencil for the JMT?

A Pencil for the JMT — Solution Found!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Don't go swiping your card on pencils from Amazon quite yet. A "Which pen for the Wonderland Trail" thread is forthcoming.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

L Lanian
    BPL Member

@lanian

I actually prefer a pen when I'm out there- Having to stop and sharpen is irritating over long periods of time. I snatch up cheap calligraphy fountain pens so my handwriting can be SOMEWHAT legible.
    With the amount of writing I do, short pencils would rub my hand raw between the index finger and thumb ("first web space"), especially so if the eraser head was down to metal.
    Write something wrong? Scribble it out and keep going. Write first, edit later.

Update: Tomorrow is the freebie day!

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

"I actually prefer a pen when I'm out there- Having to stop and sharpen is irritating over long periods of time."

Well, there's help for people like you:

L Lanian
    BPL Member

@lanian

Stan Facepalm

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I have a copy of the Davis Rees book … anyone interested could post a WTB in Gear swap and we'll discuss terms;-)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Pencils

David Rees with his sharpening field kit.

Details can be seen Here.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Oh wow David Rees isn't joking! I assumed his book was satire.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

PencilsVimeo2

Of course he is legit…. Note the awards….

Go to Vimeo.com and search for "sharpen pencil".

L Lanian
    BPL Member

@lanian

Get 'em while they're hot!
    Book is up for free.
    Let me know what you think.
    Enjoy!
    amazon.com/dp/B00I9FSQ68

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Locale: Pacific North West

Wish I would have thought of this. Last month I did a free period for my book too.

Humanity has survived environmental and atmospheric calamity and begun to move out into the stars. Sport still plays a vital role in our day-to-day affairs. The Big Red Buckle recounts an episode of a single-stage endurance race held between two shield volcanoes on a Mars that is slowly being terraformed. Participants must run and soar over 1,500 kilometers while the solar system watches.

For Marco Aguilar, just being at the starting line represents the culmination of two years of careful preparation and training. He aims to win the Grand Martian Traverse, and take home The Big Red Buckle for himself and for native Martians.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HC5JWH8/

Unfortunately the free time is over, but I too am looking for new readers. So here's the deal. Post a response here and tell me what e-reader format you prefer and I'll mail you a copy. No charge. Read it on your next backcountry excursion and let me know what you think.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools