Topic

Anyone used Ruta Locura carbon stakes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone used Ruta Locura carbon stakes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Has anyone used the Ruta Locura Sorex (carbon) stakes, particularly in rocky ground such as the Sierras? How do they stand up to glancing off embedded rocks and stuff? Can anyone compare them in use to the MSR Carbon Core stakes? (Yes, I read Stick's blog, but he apparently hadn't used either when he wrote the blog.)

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I've been using then for a while.

Pretty good in general; mostly the softer ground of Scotland.

I have broken one – in pretty much the situation you allude to – hitting a rock as I placed the peg (I'm English); that was in hard ground in Colorado last year.

I was tired and impatient – this may or may not have contributed to the fracture.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've used them for years. I like them. Had a head come off one which I glued back on. I use the long ones (9"?).

I only use in soft ground where I can push them in by hand. I don't pound them in.

My tent requires 6 stakes so I carry 4 carbons and 4 skinny metal ones (e.g. needle stakes) to cover varying ground conditions.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I broke one in semi-frozen and rocky ground in Lost Creek Wilderness CO last November. Definitely the wrong peg for the conditions, but also operator error – it snapped in half when I put too push pressure on it.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I have both. The MSR's are more forgiving and I prefer them. I have had a couple of the Sorex stakes heads pop off when they weren't hit perfectly dead on center of the head.

Ryan

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I like 'em. Always push them in by hand. Never tried to hammer one into the ground…that always seems like inviting disaster. From the replies above it looks like I guessed correctly.

I used to use MSR Groundhogs but replaced them with 9" Ruta Locuras for a significant weight savings AND a better hold. I've been carrying 8 of them for the past year for use on my Duplex. I am surprised that they show no signs of damage even though they have be scraped past rocks many times on the way into the ground. They are 2-3 grams heavier than TI shepherd hook stakes. I tied and glued a small loop of Triptease around each right under the head to facilitate removal and make them easy to see. If I know I will be in very rocky soil, I throw a few shepherds hooks in the bag for insurance.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Well, if you have to hammer the stakes in you might do damage.

Ive had no problems, I love them. I use 2 of them for my ridgeline only, I use the Ti ones as well and they are great too.

When I cant get them in the ground by pushing with foot, I put a piece of wood on top of the stake, and hammer the wood with with a rock. doesnt harm the stake or the rock.

If that doesnt work, its time to just use rocks.

Travis Higdon
    Spectator

@life-goes-on

Locale: PNW

I've only used the 9" ones. I've used them for mids and tents and haven't broken one yet. As others have mentioned, I don't hammer them. If I can't push them into the ground by hand, I either tie out to something else like a rock or I use the stake like a deadman anchor behind a pile of rocks (pre-made wind breaks are common in the cascades).

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

I have broken six of them over the last few years. Stopped buying them and have been using the L Stakes from SMD.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I really like them, but like John I've broken three of the six that I bought…one if them on their very first outing. I think they are great for loose soils, but hit a rock and you're thru.

I, of course, was trying to use them in the desert (I'm a total desert noob here)…not a good idea. Just sayin'

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools