Topic

What would I get for 1.3 more ounces?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What would I get for 1.3 more ounces?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

I recently purchased the OR Helium II. It comes in at 6.4 ounces.

I've pondered purchasing the MH Super Light Plasmic Jacket, which comes in at 7.7 ounces. The MH uses Dry.Q EVAP™ 15D 2.5L as the fabric while the OR uses Pertex® Shield+ DS 2.5L, 100% nylon 30D ripstop with clear laminate.

Frankly I have no idea what either of those fabrics are, which is better, more breathable etc. All I know is they both say 2.5L…no idea what that is either.

Does anyone have opinions on the differences? Is one getting a significantly better rain jacket for 1.3 ounces more? Or are they both basically UL "breathable" rain jackets that will wet out and/or suck in a heavy storm? If they are the both the latter…I'll stick with the OR and save some weight. :)

Thanks!

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

I haven't a clue!
    I dunno that stuff.
    But, I can make a recommendation to help you decide. Put on the jacket ya got and have someone spray ya down good with a garden hose. If it seems to work OK, roll with it and save the coin!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

1layer fabric, 1layer membrane, .5 layer over coating to protect the membrane = 2.5 layers

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

The fabric used in the Plasmic is eVent DVL. It is simply rebranded under the DryQ umbrella by MHW.

It will breathe noticeably better than the Helium's Pertex Shield Plus which is a monolithic polyurethane membrane, which "breathes" by absorbing and releasing condensation. eVent is an ePTFE membrane, which is porous and air permeable, so humidity is pushed out without state change (vapor to liquid to vapor).

It gets more complicated than that, though. Both membranes are quite fragile due to their thin coatings and so with even casual use you may find the need or desire to test the warranty policy of your jacket's manufacturer. By that alone, most people would agree that Outdoor Research has a far more generous warranty coverage.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

So the MH breathes better. Is it also more waterproof?

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I own the Helium II here in the PNW. It will wet out after 1 hour of constant rain. I bought it for when I travel to a place like SW Asia where I will get 15 minute downpours.
    I know "Wired" recently used the same jacket on her CDT thru-hike.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

> So the MH breathes better. Is it also more waterproof?

A loaded question. Water should not pass through any jacket like these. However, when a fabric is saturated with water on the outside, regardless of whether or not it is actually leaking you will get moist because wet fabric doesn't pass internal humidity well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools