Topic

let’s make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear let’s make a hot weather quilt.. cotton, fleece?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    George Tate Hunt

@tripplespill

What thickness of silk did you use? Did you go with Habotai or the Crepe de Chine? Was shrinkage a major issue for you?

George Tate Hunt

@tripplespill

Has anyone made a summer top quilt and use a silk liner made like a pocket you can slide into (top against the climashield, bottom between you and your sleeping pad? Not sure how much weight that would add, but it would feel much better than sleeping directly on a neo-air.

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

George,

I have not made a lower flap on a quilt, but it's trivial to sew on or even make removable.

I think it'd be more economical weight-wise to attach a small piece to the neoair. It could be much smaller, 20" wide (vs virtually the whole size of your quilt). Could even make it torso-height even. It would be better to directly cover the pad too, rather than get wrapped up in this flap of fabric.

I'd semi-permanently glue it on, or some sturdy double-stick tape that I expected to last june-aug each year. Or use a sewn pocket around the edges to slip over the pad, sort of a fitted sheet (I'd be surprised if the didn't sell them, but not for me)

Fabric is light, but when the whole thing weighs 8-10oz and you start adding 50% of the total fabric area it adds up quick.

Benjamin Evison
    BPL Member

@benevision

I used 4 yards – 2 each for INSIDE and OUT of ti-goat's nobul-1.

Sorry for delay in getting back – I've been away for a coupla days…

will post some pics later today AU time.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools