Topic

PCT section pack decision

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists PCT section pack decision

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jared & Jean

@kofron

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'll be doing a section hike starting in Campo and ending near redding starting at the beginning of May this year.
    I'm in the process of purchasing a new pack and having some trouble deciding when it comes to volume. I'm currently
    torn between:

GG Mariposa
    Elemental Horizons Aquilo
    ULA Circuit

I see a lot of folks carrying the circuit and the mariposa. I definitely really like what I see/read about the Aquilo and the
    EH packs in general, but I'm concerned about the somewhat smaller volume as compared to the others.

My big volume items:

Big Agnes seedhouse SL2 tent
    BV450
    Western Mountaineering UL down bag

My last experience was on the AT with an Osprey Aether 60 and it all packed up pretty nicely, but this is my first really
    long haul and I'd love some feedback on this decision.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

There is no magic answer, but it sounds like you have done some research and have a few in mind.

Be prepared to order one and send it back, and order anyother and send it back… I would say support cottage companies! Check out Zpacks and MLD as well.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Put all your gear in a box and see what the volume is. That and your expected baseweight and total weight will give you your answer to which packs you should be considering. That said, I was well served on the PCT by the ULA Circuit in 2009.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools