Topic

Drying 90 Pounds of Apples (Video by Critter)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Drying 90 Pounds of Apples (Video by Critter)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    marcus hampton

@thecritter

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I hope you are able to find some inspiration or ideas from this video of me using dehydrators to dry 90 pounds of apples.

Here is the video.
    Here's the cut and paste of the same video http://youtu.be/lSestH7rmwE

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

I just did 45 pounds this fall when they came into season. I feel your pain lol

I cored and sliced by hand though, ugh. I got a corer for Christmas this year, but nothing fancy like that gizmo. What did you use to slice them? Did that peeler slice them too?

I also never tried mixing sugar with the cinnamon, just straight cinnamon tasted good to me. My grown son saw I made apples again, but was sorely disappointed I didn't put any cinnamon on them this time. Guess I need another box of apples ;)

marcus hampton

@thecritter

Glenn S, you are right when you say that little device slices too. That's the Victorio Apple Corer, Peeler, and Slicer. Here's my video on how it works.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Oh I see, spiral cut like a ham, very cool! I always thought they would be too expensive, guess I'm behind the times just a tad. In my Amazon cart now, thanks for the vid!

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I also use cinnamon and sugar. Its to hard to get the apple thinly and evenly covered with cinnamon unless you mix it with sugar. I shake it over the apples.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I posted this in his other apple video but I found that apple chingadera at Bed Bath and Beyond for under $25 before using a 20% off coupon.

marcus hampton

@thecritter

These apples are very sweet so I would like to use only cinnamon. How would I apply only cinnamon to the apples, with no sugar? I am thinking of a highly concentrated cinnamon/water spray bottle.

Glenn S

@glenn64

My method is very crude. Just shake it on with something like a pepper shaker that has smaller holes. I do it over something flexible that is larger than the tray, so I can "pour" the over-shake back into the shaker. Some pieces were a little gloppy and some were more sparse. It didn't look real professional I guess, but I didn't worry about it too much.

I haven't done this on the trays with my new Excalibur yet though, since I just got it for Christmas after my little round one died this fall doing my apples. I had to borrow one to finish the job.

I noticed you do rings though. I do them in halves, so I could fit them close together and get more on a tray (important with my old dryer). Once they started drying, they formed their own gaps then. Seemed to keep the over-shake to a minimum.

Edit: The next time I do them in my Excalibur with Cinnamon, my method will be to first watch the video you make on how you do it with plain Cinnamon! ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools