Topic

Long Trail Thru Hike Gear List (heavy) needs to be updated for PCT Thru (light!)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Long Trail Thru Hike Gear List (heavy) needs to be updated for PCT Thru (light!)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Devin Karch

@darwin13

Locale: NYC

My friend Thru Hiked the Long Trail with this gear list. Now he is going to THRU hike the PCT this April. How would you lighten the load?
    feel free to leave comments on the other site if you want.

http://thetraillives.com/2014/03/06/long-trail-thru-hike-the-gear/

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Not a bad list actually. The pack, shelter, and quilt look good. We could quibble about specifics but all three are proven designs that are reasonably light.

I would consider hiking in lighter trail runners. I like that a lot better then boots, they wear out faster though so he needs to remember that.

The cook system looks heavy but its sounds like he's aware he could leave some stuff behind.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

The intro paragraph says "My pack weight was pretty heavy and I have since updated my entire gear list for my upcoming PCT Thru Hike!"

But the heavy list is what's given.

Since this person has already updated their entire gear list, what's the point of reviewing the older, heavier one??

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding here, but if so, perhaps others are too.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

This list is what not to bring.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Nice list.

Grab a knife or multi tool, very handy to cut line, kitchen work etc. A knife in the wilderness is crucial.

I wouldn't bring the polycro since you have a sil bivy. If it was acuben bivy then I would keep it.

AJ Groff
    Spectator

@ajgroff

Locale: Midwest

I have a dryducks pancho and cut .2 oz by tearing off the attached storage sack that has a giant cordlock and replacing it with a small cuben ditty. Also 2 oz of dr. broneers seams like a lot. Im just taking .5 oz in a dropper bottle on the PCT.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools