Topic

Ridged Foster’s Cans

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ridged Foster’s Cans

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Giving credit where credit is due, I believe Dan Yeruski figured out how to do it first; Trail Designs figured out a way to do it too; and I have finally also figured out a way to fabricate ridges into Foster's cans. The lowest ridge is 4 oz, the second ridge is 8 oz, the third ridge is 12 oz, and the top ridge is 16 oz (also Dan's idea). As a side benefit, the fabrication process removes nearly all of the BPA plastic film inside the cans.

ribbed

[edited to pay homage to Dan Yeruski and Trail Designs]

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Yeah, Dan/Zelph's ridged Foster's cans are great. He's figured out a different way to do it. But, I believe they still have the plastic lining. Also, my tests indicate that brushed cans absorb heat better than cans with the shiny original finish.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

David, looks nifty. Is your method a secret ?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Delmar,

As tempted as I have been to describe the various methods I tried and what I finally came up with, I'm trying to make and sell ultralight products so I guess it's proprietary.

Not that it would be easy to replicate, since it required access to a full metal shop (my Dad's). Trail Designs told me their method is proprietary. It never occurred to me to ask Dan how he does it, but I think I remember a post in some thread where someone asked Dan how he did it and he declined to reveal his method. If my recollection is wrong, I stand corrected.

I will say that I tried a couple of commercially available bead rollers, and they did a very nice job of crinkling and cutting the cans. I gave some thought to making custom dies for one of the bead rollers, and may still try it, but it doesn't solve the problem of making multiple ridges at the same time with precise spacing to indicate the fluid levels. Nor does it resolve the issue of the BPA plastic lining.

I will also say that some of the key parts are available at any well-stocked hardware store, and part of the process can be duplicated in most kitchens.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Understood. Well, they look good!

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Nice job David! glad to see someone figured out how to get rid of the plastic liner.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Wow!!! ridges look great :-)

I have revealed the method I use in a thread here on BPL. It is basically what is shown on the "Instructibles" site. I added a thing or two to make sure of repeatability.

There are numerous online publications that state BPA is removed from the lining of cans during the process of canning the product within them. The canning process requires the food to be placed into the cans, then heated to approximately 180 degrees for a certain length of time and then the lid is applied. During the process, the BPA leaves the lining and enters the food.

That information came out years ago. I seriously doubt that can manufactures today are using BPA in their can linings after all the public concerns that we've heard about over the years.

We are doomed to hear of complaints about BPA, Alzheimers and aluminum, wood burning stoves made of zinc plated metal and maybe some other things that I have forgotten. It will never end :-(

I have the ability to make stoves like you and flatcatgear make. I have the ability to make Caldera Cones and conical windscreens. When do you think I should start manufacturing them to be included in my store?

Fred F
    BPL Member

@55284

I hope I am posting this link properly:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64374

Definitely a project that can be accomplished (with difficulty) DIY…

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I have the ability to make stoves like you and flatcatgear make. I have the ability to make Caldera Cones and conical windscreens. When do you think I should start manufacturing them to be included in my store?"

When any applicable patents expire.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Nick, that's when you can start ;-)

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

Make Your Own Gear: 'Do-it-yourself tips and tricks, material sources, patterns, techniques, and discussions of how to HACK UP off the market products to make them lighter (and sometimes, better).'

To post a MYOG project without wanting to reveal the specifics of the build for proprietary reasons seems to be nothing more than an attempt to promote a product. I feel this goes against the stated and implied intent of this forum. Should the OP be better suited for 'Gear Deals' ?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

No need for hostility. If there was a mistake, it was an honest one, but I apologize nonetheless. I made the gear myself, so MYOG seemed appropriate. Most of the threads I have started have been MYOG so I just did it again.

Anyone out there know if there's way to re-designate a thread?

What is "OP"?

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I'm wondering, does the ridging method rely on having a wide mouth at the top of the pot? Do you have to get a bunch of tools inside? Could you do it to a bottle? I have a bunch of these Japanese coffee bottles that I really like that would be great even if they just had one ridge in them. They are pretty strong as they are, as they cone and cap at top adds a lot of strength.

The cap on these is about an inch across (estimate, can't find a ruler around here at the moment).

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

MYOG or some other doesn't make a difference. Let's keep on track here, it's an interesting thread. If there's a problem Caffin or RJ can intercede. If they don't care, then no one should either.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Adam, my rig requires a wide mouth. It barely fits in the can. It could be made smaller, but I'm not sure it would have the necessary rigidity. 1" is pretty small, though it would be very cool if someone could figure out how to put ridges in an Al bottle.

Thanks Nick, Delmar, Jon. Here is a photo of my milled, drilled, bolted, TIG welded and glued rig:

ridger

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Nice piece of Engineering. Yep that would be tough to get in a bottle. Are those little wheels nylon? I bet you could pump out ridged cans quite fast with this rig. Cool :-)

If you want some bottles to play with, maybe I can get a few to post to you (from Japan in the next week or so). Though it looks like the "Coors" bottles in the US are pretty similar that some people use, so probably cheaper just to get them to try first.

If that horizontal square tube "support" was say 15 or 20mm across/diameter, and you just had one "disc" right on the end, you could possible get it inside the bottle by disconnecting the support and angling it. Then reattach the support to the mount and make a single ridge at a time. Better than nothing. With good high tensile steel or chromoly with a thick wall thickness I'm sure it could be made strong enough to do the job.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Though it looks like the "Coors" bottles in the US are pretty similar that some people use"

I was checking out the 16 fluid ounce aluminum beer bottles in the store today. Coors, Miller, and Budweiser, none of which are my favorite brands.

–B.G.–

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

I'm stoked that the best can here is off a black coffee that is actually quite drinkable. Most of the Japanese store coffees (and there are tons to choose from) are terrible. Pretty lucky!

Surely you can find a mate to drink it on your behalf Bob :-)

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

David, cool rig.
    Lot of work, that.
    If I need ridges on anything I'll be sending to YOU, not attempting to duplicate!!

I like to work with metal (own a mill) but I don't understand sheet metal much. I'm surprised you can get the ridge by basically deforming the metal from one side. I'd have thought you'd have to push (with wheel) against a valley or trough of some sort. Apparently the "valley/trough" is not necessary as your anvil is flat.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

I put a piece of balsa on the anvil, which forms valley/troughs for the wheels to push against.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Clever! That gets you out of having to machine a "trough" mold beneath, with a ball-shaped cutter. I like it. See, that's one of my problems. I start to work with metal and get into the mindset that EVERYthing must be of metal, when (in your case) teflon and balsa are equally useful. I can't help but admire the creative and flexible thinking on your part. Strong work!!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Well, one thing is for sure. If the plastic lining of the Foster's can is removed there is no possibility of any BPA getting into your water or food.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

"What is "OP"?"

Original Post(er)

I don't understand how rolling ridges in it, removes the BPA? Did I miss-read somewhere?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools