Topic

Pattern for MYOG Hip Belt Pocket/Pouch?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pattern for MYOG Hip Belt Pocket/Pouch?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I like Lance's pattern especially because it makes the pocket from a single piece of material, which saves a lot of piecing and sewing. The only change I'd make is to add maybe 1.5" to the top, to make a fold-over cover for the zipper. That would do two things: protect the pocket from rain (just a bit!) and give a little more support to the ends of the zipper. I might also sew on some velcro hook under the elastic, and hand stitch velcro loop patches on the hip belt to keep the pocket from sliding or rolling under with movement.

Have you seen McHale's large hip belt pockets? The pack end is attache by a bungie, which allows you to pull it out away from the belt to more easily see what's in it. Very clever! Plus it's big enough to hold a Tom Harrison or other map, plus a Suunto.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Lance, you rock. Thank you very much.

EDIT: Just read it over, very excellent and detailed instruction. This would also allow me to have a "fanny pack" for no extra weight. Just take it off the hip belt and thread it on my pants belt, for short hikes away from camp.

Ha, for a GG Vapor Trail I see! I need mine for a GG Crown, which is sorta kinda the progeny of the Vapor Trail.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yay Lance! That is perfect! I'm going to be making a pack for my fiance and another one for myself in the coming weeks. Hers will be made using X-Pac VX21 and mine will be VX07.

Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

I retrofitted another loop for an additional attachment point. I think Stephen's suggestion to use Velcro would also work. Pouch weighs 25 grams as shown.

belt pouch attachment loop

belt pouch bungie

Also edited the 'how I did it' tutorial for typos and added a full size pattern to the end of the PDF file. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Delmar,
    I have a couple small ones that I stripped off a Bean's AT 55 (2011 model) pack.
    Rectangular shape with horizontal top zips. You could have them free.

But am not sure how you would sew them to the belt. Am not familiar with your pack and belt, though.

Anyway, if you want them, PM me. But you must furnish an email address for reply in the PM, as BPL has not been able to figure out why my PM only works in receive mode.

Be Well,
    Sam

Cameron Wilson
    Spectator

@cjw

I picked up a couple waist packs at wally world last night in the camping section that measure 5.5x8x3. They cost $6 each. I'm going to see if I can attach one to the front of my vapor trail so I have an exterior pocket the other to the waist belt. It might be a bit large for the waist belt but for $6 I'm willing to give it a shot. They're a little heavy as is but once I get the belt and buckle off of them they should be pretty reasonable.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Generous offer, Sam, thank you. Let me see where my own ham-handed attempts at MYOG turn out…if I'm not capable, I may have to shoot you an email for a bailout. Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I sewed mine without the last modification, the extra attachment points. I used spinnaker fabric since that is fairly waterproof, and the color goes with my current backpacks. You end up with a lot of weight in the heavy elastic loops on the back. I went with the strongest elastic that I could find since I did not want this thing flopping around on the hip belt.

Weight 0.55 ounces.

–B.G.–

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Trying to remember Bob, aren't you the guy who (1) does post grammar and spelling corrections but (2) does not post photos? If I'm wrong, post a photo of your creation, it sounds nifty. If I'm right, here's something you might find interesting: "mispellling."

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools