Topic

JMT gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pablo 2000
    BPL Member

@pablo2000

OK here is my current list for my sobo JMT in July, I still need to fine tune my clothing. And I haven't bought my tent yet so I'm open to suggestions there, seems I should utilize my trekking poles but prefer a double wall tent.

Also any link y'all could provide with restocking points/advice would be helpful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArXyw5n-WMZtdE1oQ3NFNi1ac01KQk4tODYzM2dya1E#gid=0

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

It would help if it was a file people could access. They have to log into google and request it from you apparently, which is a bit troublesome.

Pablo 2000
    BPL Member

@pablo2000

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

Shelter: If you like the idea of a double wall tent but want to utilize your trekking poles check out the tarptent notch or stratospire. I love my notch but dont have any experience with the stratospire, although i do know its bigger and weighs a bit more. Saves ~10oz

You can trim your thermarest and use your pack at you feet to prop them up and insulate them. Saves around ~5oz

I would shy away from having your primary bottle being a platypus bottle, check out smart water bottles. With a smart water bottle you can easily slip it into the pocket on your exos, where as the platypus has sharp edges and gets caught on the mesh and is nearly impossible without taking the pack off.

Thats all I can really do to help you at this point, it doesnt appear that your gearlist is quite finished. hope this helps!

Pablo 2000
    BPL Member

@pablo2000

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the notch how much did you pay for it? Have you had it in weather? I will be trimming the pad as well. Do you know if the smart bottles thread to the Sawyer?

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

I have had the notch in a terrible rainstorm and I pitched it a bit lower than normal and was fine. If you do a bit of research on it some people like to attach an additional guy line to each apex to make it stronger. Mine works fine in moderate wind and heavy rain with 4 steaks though.

The new sawyer mini is compatible with smart water bottle, not sure about with the new sawyer squeeze, i know the old ones work fine though. I use a sawyer mini with my smart water and with a 2.5L platypus and it works great.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

How long are you planning to take? Are you going solo?

The gross weight of the 220g fuel canisters is around 12 oz, not the 8 oz you have listed. However, unless you're going slow and cooking a ton, you'll probably be fine with the 4 oz canisters (…segue to resupplies…) which you can restock at Red's and MTR, which are the two resupplies I'd suggest for a < 20 day trip. Convenient, *almost* on trail, and delicious hot food at Red's. I've heard good things about VVR, so if you're not hurrying down the trail, you might resupply there instead of MTR.

Clothes look good, but I'd add a pair of dirty girl gaiters to your list, especially if you're hiking in shorts.

Maps? I know you can do without on the JMT, but I recommend Erik the Black's JMT Atlas. Or of course, the Tom Harrison maps. Single sheets, so you can ship the pertinent sections to your resupplies and only carry a few sheets at a time.

If you left the cooking gear and stove at home, you'd save around 24 oz. Sort of depends on if you're solo or not, but if I were going alone, I'd save the 24 oz. There's hot food in Tuolumne Meadows, at Red's, at VVR, and at Whitney Portal. Personal choice.

Is the Bearikade Scout really 13 oz lighter than the BV100? Well, consider that. JMT through-hikers can get a good deal on the Bearikade rentals directly from Wild Ideas.

You can read my lengthy JMT trip report for last year. I discuss our gearlists, resupply tactics, etc. The report is here . Be warned, it is not short. If you do dive in, I suggest downloading it instead of viewing it in the Google Docs viewer, because it screws up all the colors.

Christopher Harrod
    Spectator

@bushcat

Locale: Northern California

i'm literally lol reading some of this…

"We started out with a few hot meals, but took less and less of those as we went along. I don't like the fiddliness of

them. You have to boil water, then add it to a bag with food in it, then wait for it to rehydrate…then eat out of the

bag…then you have a dirty bag and a dirty spoon, so you have to wash a spoon and a bag…all the while, I could

have just been mashing Pringles down my gullet."

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools