Topic

Shouldn’t a rain jacket ALWAYS be high visibility?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shouldn’t a rain jacket ALWAYS be high visibility?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I fall in the "high vis" category (as you might notice from my avatar). I learned this lesson, oddly enough, snowmobiling. My snowmobiling gear is all black- helmet to boots. My old snowmobile was also all black. I got it stuck in the middle of a field well within visibility of my riding buddies but apparently out of earshot. Now, in Alaska in the winter, everything is black and white. The snow, of course, is white. All other things appear to black. So a black dot in the middle of a field, even one waving frantically, just did not catch anyone's eye probably because it looked like a boulder and a tree. Meanwhile, I've got a riding buddy that wears a dayglow orange jacket and you can see that fellow 2 miles away, I kid you not. It was an epiphany for me. I don't wear my rainshell all the time, but when I do, people are going to be able to see me. I think it's a good safety feature.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

For winter my Windhsirt and Rain jacket are high visibility, but the rest of the year I prefer darker colours.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

I'm curious to know the following data:
    How many hikers get accidentally shot each year by hunters… and what proportion of those hikers were wearing bright colors and what proportion were wearing muted colors?

I don't know if this data exists, but if anyone knows it, please share. If it turns out that we are, for example, more likely to be struck by lightning while backpacking than being accidentally shot, then we should probably just chalk this one up as acceptable risk and move on. Obviously, precautionary measure should probably be taken for high hunting areas just like precautionary measure are taken with high lightning risk areas… but in general, we might be fear mongering here.

I tend to prefer muted colors, but I will admit that a rain jacket seems like the one item of clothing where I would most likely tolerate a very high visibility color (e.g. blaze orange). I suppose you could also hang your rain jacket on the back of your pack while hiking through known hunting areas in dry weather.

I use a GoLite Chrome Dome umbrella for most of my rain protection these day, so I guess I've already got an emergency safety signaling device on hand (terrible pun intended, my sincerest apologies) :)!

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

Not a fan of bright neon/vibrant hiking clothing seems to be trendy right now, in the gym and on the trail. The color seems to annoy me for some reason. Grays/blacks/earth tones and a for a bit of variation a few primary colors for me. I dig low visual impact. I have never had a reason to have the need to be seen 1/4" mile away!

Of course, hunting season is an exception.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

"Last thing I want is to find a previously unseen camo clothed backpacker camped 50 feet from me after I set up camp."

A previously unseen ghillie suit clothed backpacker camped 20 feet away is even more unsettling. :)

"I fall in the "high vis" category (as you might notice from my avatar)."
    Dena, I hadn't noticed your avatar because it blended in with all of the other high-visibility ones. :)

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

"In fact, while driving through, the Officers were actually contacted and harassed by one of the suspects who, like many people living ‘off the grid’ in the area, are extremely wary of visitors they do not recognize (side note: to illustrate this point, a grouse hunter from Hoquiam died on Pontiac Ridge last September after allegedly being shot and killed by a sniper at a nearby cabin). "

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2014/mar/05/turkey-poaching-least-crimes-bagged-okanogan-felons/#more

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I like to blend into the scenery with natural colors so the only "hi-viz" apparel I carry is a lightweight blaze orange vest and cap for hunting seasons. I do hunt as well as backpack in those seasons.

My feeling is that natural colors are more pleasing to my eyes and others'. I'm outdoors to blend in, not make a fashion or safety statement unless necessary.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I like to blend into the scenery with natural colors so the only "hi-viz" apparel I carry is a lightweight blaze orange vest and cap for hunting seasons."

+1

Bright colors are good if you want to take a picture of yourself and stand out. Also, sometimes bright colors are available at an even steeper discount, as few people seem to want them.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools