Topic

Gram Weenie stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Gram Weenie stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 101 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Question: Now that your no longer making these stoves for sale, can you let us in on some secrets. How on earth do you roll the lip of the stove? Also I have made a few of these stoves, I'm actually making one now and its been a long time since I have made one. Do you flatten out the bottom of the exterior bottle? Thanks Goerge you da man!

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Hi Kurt! No big secret really. You just need to make a die to roll the lip :p. I know, that's a bit of a smart answer, but it's how I did it. It's not beyond the ability of a DIY'er with a lathe – I made my own. Unfortunately if you don't have the means or a friend with the same you're probably at the mercy of those who do.

You could try the same trick guys are using with the bigger bottles, but I'm not sure how well it'll work. Cut about an inch from a bottle, then stretch it over another bottle bottom with a press. After you insert the neck portion into the bottom half use your "improvised die" to roll the top in a press.

No, I did not flatten the bottom of the bottle as that would reduce the structural stability of the bottom of the stove. Instead of rolling the top, the bottom would collapse.

Lastly. the riveted method of the original still works just fine. Nothing wrong with the Frankenstein design.

Stuart Wright

@bearbones

If anyone's looking for something similar to the 'Gram Weenie stove' they might want to look at these from the UK.

http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/pages/contact.html

8g and 22g bearbones stoves

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Thanks George, I think I'll stick with the old school way of riveting it. Thanks for the great little stove.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Are the rivets necessary? It seems to me that pressing the two pieces together should give a tight enough fit without rivets or a rolled lip. A tiny bit of high-temp RTV silicone sealant spread between the mating surfaces would make it secure if it seems to slip at all, and it should withstand the heat.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Hi Colin. Yeah, when you press the two pieces together they will eventually come apart on their own, since the stove will be continually expanding and contracting.

No offense Stuart, but really? "Much development time has been given to the engineering of the jet configuration"? Seems I've seen that design before, hmmmm…..oh I know:
    gram weenie duel jet pattern circa 2010

gram weenie circa 2007
    Gram Weenie dual jet pattern circa 2007.

I don't care (nor do I have a right to at this point) that some folks are "filling a void"(you're certainly not the first), but don't take credit for innovating something you didn't (again not the first).

Viewing 6 posts - 101 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools