Topic

titanium spatula

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals titanium spatula

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

What began as a customer request for a one-of-a-kind item has now become a regular offering, so this thread was moved to Gear Deals since introductory pricing is in effect for these. Check out the thread, then if you can't resist go to QiWiz.net/spatulas.html to get one of these babies. You know you want one . . .

Original post:

A request from an Aussie who likes to push the boundaries of the possible led to this project. It turned out better than I expected it to. He wanted a light spatula that was strong and not made of plastic. Voila . . .
    Weighs 24 g (0.8 oz). I don't know yet if it will be one-of-a-kind or become another unique product. Used 0.020" titanium sheet for this.

spatula

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

What are the Length & Width dimensions?

What type of material was used for a heat insulator on the handle?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Brilliant! What are the dimensions?

I think of that shape as a flipper or turner where a spatula is more like a broad dull knife.

Evidently this has some debate in the cooking world, of course:
    http://www.ehow.com/info_8653294_difference-between-spatula-flipperturner.html#page=1

You might find a market for a Ti spreader type spatula too, for spreading peanut butter, jams, cheeses and the like.

The other Ti implement that I want is a knockoff of the Trangia T28 pot lifter to fit a Snowpeak Ti bowl.Trangia T28

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I'm loving it, Rob!

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

The grid it was photographed against is made up of 1/2" squares. The spatula is ~ 7.5" long. The handle is not coated, just anodized as a side effect of heat treatment during shaping/bending. Would not get too hot to handle in normal use.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

If someone wanted a coating, a little "Plasti Dip" coating might work. As long as you don't leave the utensil to rest in the pan it usually isn't an issue.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Is there anything like Plasti Dip that won't burn? How about a good high temperature paint?

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Nice!!! is it thin enough to flex like a spatula?

It doesn't need any plastic on the handle.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"Is there anything like Plasti Dip that won't burn? How about a good high temperature paint?"

I was thinking out loud so to speak. I think the paint would be so thin that it wouldn't do much. If you could find some thin silicone tubing, like the stretch bands used for exercise resistance, that might work. If you made the handle flat, you could sandwich some nice wood scales on it, but away we go with weight and cost. In reality I think I would just reach for the trusty bandana and leave it to shine in all it's naked Ti glory :)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

This is what I did with my Mega Dig, to make it easy to grip without slicing my hands while digging in hard ground. I expect it would somewhat insulate the handle if it didn't get very hot. And I always know where to find some extra GlowWire cord if I need some.

Mega Dig cord wrap

But you say want silicone insulation? Small diameter silicone tubing would work too, but it wouldn't be multi-use. So here's the solution.

Ready?

Wait for it…

The soon-to-be-famous Rainbow Scunci Handle Wrap! You'll always know where to find a Scunci when you need one. (Didn't I try to tell you on that thread yesterday that Scunci power rules?). This photo is for you, Link.

Rainbow Scunci Mega Dig wrap

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

@Dan/zelph – it does flex, though not extremely springy; completely agree that no handle coating is required as titanium conducts heat poorly, and thin titanium cools quickly, and you will not be leaving it in a fire or even a hot pan for any length of time

@Gary
    /ZiaGrillGuy – trust a colorful guy like yourself to come up with the rainbow handle wrap

@all – if anyone wants one of these superb UL cooking implements, just order a Mega Dig and tell me you want a spatula, NOT a trowel in order comments

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"completely agree that no handle coating is required as titanium conducts heat poorly, and thin titanium cools quickly, and you will not be leaving it in a fire or even a hot pan for any length of time"

I wasn't concerned about heat so much, but I was concerned about tightly grabbing a very thin slice of metal with thin edges. That's why Plasti-Dip was mentioned.

–B.G.–

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

No, Bob, that's why the Scunci was invented.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

That thing is awesome, nice work!

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

I got enough inquiries and requests to implement spatulas as a regular item. I've found a bending technique that enhances flexibility of the flipping end. Currently featuring an introductory price.

Now you can get either the Lil' Flip OR the Big Flip to match your backcountry gourmet needs. Find 'em at QiWiz.net

spatulas

Mods – please move thread to "Gear Deals" if that suits.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Robert

Yeah, time to move. Done.
    You are having a lot of fun with Ti sheet. Is it CP or 6Al4V?

Cheers

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

@ Roger –

Yes, having more fun with titanium than I ever imagined was possible. ;)

I do use CP titanium for windscreens, WindShields, ULtimate Esbit burners, hanging Esbit burners, and for the rods that are used for FireFly stove FlexPort door keepers and small/wide pot supports.

But trowels and stoves (and now spatulas) are made with either 6AL4V titanium or similar titanium alloys that I've been able to obtain.

Little Buck and MEGA Buck saws have no titanium in them. :(

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

QiWiz MODIFIED Spatula was made for me by Robert that is essentially a custom shorter/lighter Big Flip. It has more surface area than a Lil' Flip AND is made of thicker Ti sheeting. It's a one-of-a-kind custom item made to my specs. Have yet to give this one a try but from all of it attributes I feel it is going to be winner!

.Spatula Comparision

SIDE BAR………Since I do a lot of baking and frying I have used the Banks Alpine Fry-Bake Pan http://frybake.com/ now for over 25 years. Below is my set up at 9.7 ounces. (Putting this weight into perspective, last year on a eleven days BP &Pack Rafting on Isle Royal with the wife and four of my grandchildren (ages 10 -13) my Total Pack Weight was 22.3 pounds, of which was 5.5 lbs of pack raft. Lots of baking and frying were done by the girls during the trip for experience, to include a six pound Lake Superior Northern Pike that was given to us. This could have not been accomplished without the Fry-Bake Pan set up you see below:

Fry Set Up

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools