Topic

What is your two item first aid kit?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What is your two item first aid kit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I like Lueko tape and the 2nd would be a safety pin.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Ian,

Yep, they are auto now. You take off the cap, hold it to the thigh and push down, hopefully for 10 seconds. I was shaking so bad the first time I had to do it. The effects are scary – in how fast they can breathe. Best, is you can do it through clothing as well.

As for the Benadryl? I carry liquid (yeah, reeeaaallll UL I know) with both a cup and syringe style doser. I can stick the syringe in his mouth, tilt him back and force it into him. Pills take too long :-(

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

This works for me…

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

"The tape and PLB suggestion was half joke, half serious. If you're back in remote terrain, the probability of something between minor booboo (tape your ankle and walk on out) and call in the troops (appendicitis) isn't all that high."

+1 to Dave's and similar sentiments with heading out from non-remote terrain for anything serious. With very few exceptions, if it needs serious medical supplies, people should just be getting out, and knowledge plus good tape will be what's needed to do so.

+1 also to those who ID this as a useful intellectual exercise.

I found many of the answers interesting, and they highlighted more than anything else how important it is to understand individual medical conditions and needs. People with severe allergies and other conditions that might put them in a position of needing some type of medication absolutely must have those meds. People who don't could probably expect to go a long, long time without really needing anything other than some tape. In the real world, most of what's in my FAK is for taking care of minor booboos that can be the difference between a fun trip and a miserable and/or aborted trip.

Do I get to choose a different #2 for different trips? If there are ticks, I choose good tweezers. Nothing else is in the running. If no ticks, it's a lot harder.

With apologies for a little attempted hijacking, maybe a related interesting question is "what would you add for one ounce more than your tape supply?"

Cheers,

Bill S.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

This is just my situation, but a round of antiboitics is mandatory for me. If I get a blister and it gets infected, I'm screwed. I have diabetes, so low circulation in the feet is a problem. I could hike out wearing keen's, if the boot was causing the blister.

If you don't count sun glasses, clothes, sun bloc, sun glasses, bug juice, head net, a knife, as first aid gear, then after the antibiotics I'd take duct tape. I could make sterile dressing from a boiled t shirt, plus use it for splinting or as a band aid. #3 might be band aids.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

This my FAK for the past few years

FAK

Top is the back side showing the Leukotape on peelable backing. The rest is a piece of gauze, 5 Advils, one antiseptic package, and a few bandaids.

In the past 10 years or so I have only used two items.

A band aid to patch a fellow hiker who was attacked by a Yucca, the point piercing a small vein and a few Advils to help me sleep when I suffer a soft tissue injury, which has included a twisted knee, impact injury on a sharp rock to the ball of my foot, and an ankle sprain. So I guess those are my first two items.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

My kit has band aids, moleskin, cuben tape, mini bic, one immodium, 4 water tablets, alc wipes. The whole thing weighs 1.2oz and is nice to have.

I mostly use the alc wipes to clean blisters then bandaids or moleskin to cover them up.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools