Topic

Sub 8oz rain jacket reccomendation? Best?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sub 8oz rain jacket reccomendation? Best?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

under $200
    full zip
    must breathe good or have mesh pockets or pit zips
    I prefer red color for saftey and so other hikers can spot/ follow me easily.

I run cold in general so I want to try one in lieu of my windshirt.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The rain jacket won't make you any warmer, just wetter inside. 8oz and good good breathability is a tough one. The Marmot Super Mica is 9oz, but has the rest of your specs, including the pit zips. They make a very bight orange color. I see Backcountry.com has a sale.

If you can live without the pit zips, the OR Helium II is spec'd at 6.4oz. They make red and orange. I have more faith in OR products and the warranty is real. Now I want one, durn it :) Maybe the parking lot sale!

Or get a poncho, save $140 and keep your windshirt :)

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I never backpack with a wind jacket/shirt. If I'm moving I'm usually warm or too warm. When I stop, if the wind is making me chilly I put on my rain jacket. Only if it's REALLY cold and windy (or raining) do I hike with my rain jacket on. I have the Marmot Mica and it's about 7 oz. I liked the rain hood better than the OR. The Mica does not have pit zips, but I never even think about them. And it does make you warmer.

Billy

hwc 1954

@wcollings

REI has the Marmot Essence on sale for $125.

It's the minimalist version of the Marmot Mica. Just one pocket (on the chest). No pit zips, but small mesh openings under the pits. 6 ounces.

They have the blue one. Marmot has made it in red, so you might find it somewhere…

michael levi

@m-l

Thanks for the info guys it puts a smile on my face to get replies so fast.

Like above i'm not going to wear this while hiking much, mostly used when idle and rain obv. Also I want to wear sometimes with my motorcycle in the city.

OR helium, its an option, tried on one and didnt like the fit much but its a top contender still.

Montane minumus- $180, 7.5oz, pertex shield 2.5
    Mountain Hardware SUL Plasmic- $199 dry.q.evap 2.5L 8oz

Still looking at more, need to check out westcomb and others?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I missed the OR Helium HD— haven't seen that before. It's a Helium with more features, like pit zips. Spec'd at 9.1oz, which is pretty close to your goal. Comes in orange. They should make a Helium with the Torsoflow vents.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/41040/category/2208/

Charlie Murphy
    BPL Member

@baltocharlie

Locale: MAryland

I am an everyday bike commuter that owns a Mica. While it meets all of your requirements it fails in one important one. It cannot handle heavy rains. You will get wet. Light rains, drizzle it is fine but when the heavens open up your shoulders will soak through quickly. I still use it for commuting because it packs small and I am only out in the elements for 1 hour. I would never use it in the back country, NEVER. I also use golite rain pants made w/ paclite. These are excellent. Get paclite, stay warm, stay dry.

This guy makes them(7oz) but I have not used one of his. I wish I had though.
    Mica, meh!

http://lukesultralite.com/content/gore-tex-limited-edition-shells

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

have you talked to marmot?

a rain jacket in good condition should not have leakage through the shoulders …

try a shower test to ID where its coming through …

;)

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

Get an O2 Rainshield or some DriDucks. Both are more breathable than anything mentioned above. Then take the $170 you save and have a good time with it.

michael levi

@m-l

I've been doing quite a bit of browsing ul rain shells and it seems like new models have been stagnant for for the last few months.

Is the quality of the westcomb focus 2.5l event much better than the montane minimus pertex shield +?

David Ure

@familyguy

I have read several reviews regarding the low hydrostatic Head of the Mica. Not surprised it would leak in heavy, driving rain. This isn't a warranty issue.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-mica-jacket-mens

The mica is advertised at 20k mm for its membrane strata fabric

This should be enough for "driving rain"

If its not its either a warranty issue, false advertising

As long as the jacket is in good condition of course

;)

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I have had the leaking shoulder area with my Mica. But it's not so bad that I would not feel good about it for the Sierra. But if I go to the Pacific NW I will take something more leak proof.

Before buying it I read several reviews that indicated the same issue… and that Marmot was refusing to warranty it.

Billy

David Ure

@familyguy

Correct Eric. That is what the marketing indicates but clearly it isn't that high. Gortex Pro has a much higher hydrostatic head, FWIW.

So send the jacket back with a warranty claim and get a new one, only to have the same issue again. Unless you have a HH tester at home, how do you get restitution? By buying a different jacket and letting other people know your experience.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I was looking at a Montbell Versalite yesterday and this thread came to mind. It does fit all your wants (watch the sizing)

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=2003&p_id=2328276&gen_cd=1

Christian Denniston
    BPL Member

@davidulhike

Just want to chime in about the Marmot Mica and say that I have never had any luck with mine. Any real rain and it wets through within a couple minutes, and a few minutes later I am very wet. I have also designated mine to bicycle commuting and a backup in my everyday bag. I purchased mine in 2011 so it may have been improved since then.

david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

I have been using this jacket for 2 years, I find it to be a very good jacket.

tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Locale: midwest

Check out Lukesultralight gear.There are some really nice rain jackets available here. Haven't tried any but they look great.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

With this many BPLers having issues with what marmot is clearly advertising as a 20k mm rain jacket … And the warranty issues listed above

Why in the world you someone buy a marmot rain jacket???

With some other brands they just take care of you, period

Same with some retailers

And gore of course has that additional guarantee

Hmmmmm

;)

michael levi

@m-l

I'm going into bc.com warehouse and hopefully I'll pick something out. Got a climbing trip in 10 days so Looking forward to testing it. Any last minute reccs?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I really like the Outdoor Research Helium, Pertex shield is not the most breathable compared to Event or Neoshell but is very light.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I was asking myself the same question last year and got an OR Helium II on deep discount. Nice fitting jacket. I mostly used it as a wind shirt in cold, windy conditions in the mountains with a very good level of breathability. It wetted out and leaked in the shoulders the first time I used it in sustained heavy rain. I contacted OR and they promptly replaced it. I have not tested in similar conditions yet, but as other have mentioned before OR has a solid reputation for its warranty and I can vouch for that. Jury is still out for me on the jacket for its intended purpose though.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

michael levi

@m-l

I think this mh superlight plasmic or mh capacitor are my top choices. 8oz and 10oz, $200 and $140.

Mh's evap dryQ is a real membrane I think and it seems more promising compared to pertex shield.

Thoughts? I have not read much about this membrane here, but the superlight plasmic uses 15d I'm not sure if it's like event or not.mountain plasmic capacitor rain ultralight

michael levi

@m-l

Found this info,
    Dry.Q Elite is 3L eVent.

Dry.Q Evap is 2.5L eVent DVL.

So as long as it fits I'll try the mh plasmic super light. It seems similar to the westcomb focus lt but cheaper. If all else fails the OR helium seems great too but lacks pockets.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools