Topic

1 oz, Durable* Cook kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Thanks, I'm going to try that with fine ground hot cocoa and see if it kicks it up a notch :-)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Just received that pot today Dan. My initial impressions of it out of the box leave me with optimism that this will not become another piece of gear collecting dust in my closet.

I've got a few ideas of how I'm going to modify Jeremy's kit for my needs and still end up with a sub 1oz kit. That is after I get through all of the end of season hockey tournaments and whatnot.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Well that's good news. Hope it helps with the Turkish Cowboy Coffee. You need that at the tournaments ;)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Had a chance to MYOG a windscreen and solid fuel burner/stand today. The burner was a failure as there was a lot of smoke from the .25oz Coghlan tablet.

There was a benefit from the process as when I looked at ways to save weight, I found that I really don't need the Snow Peak hot lips to enjoy my cowboy coffee, and have removed that from my kit. Windscreen, ti wing, Dan's 10oz pot, lighter, snack sized ziplock for stove and fuel, mini bic, and quart sized ziplock to keep residue on my pot off of my gear while in pack came to 1.8oz. Much better than where I was but there's room for improvement.

I boiled a cup of 40* water long enough to make some Turkish coffe and had fuel left over. I'm switching to dinners that only require 1 cup of water so in theory, if I were to switch to instant coffee, I could have my morning coffee and heat up my dinner off of a single Coghlans tablet. I'm not going to drink that garbage so just throwing it out there.

Dan's pot seems plenty sturdy to be packed away without a caddy. As with all things UL and lighter, a little care goes a long ways.

As far as my MYOG project goes, tonight's project wasn't worth salvaging so I'm going back to the drawing board. I'll post pictures later as I can't upload them from the phone.

Last thought on this tonight, getting below three ounces is fairly easy. Below two requires some resourcefulness, but to get to a single ounce including the lighter is going to take some work, I applaud Jeremy as that's quite an accomplishment.

To be continued…

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

"I found that I really don't need the Snow Peak hot lips to enjoy my cowboy coffee…"

+1 I've never really understood this fear of burning lips on metal mugs. The mug will be the same temperature as your coffee. Surely, if it's hot enough to burn your lips, it's too ho to drink?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Once I get my Zelphs 2 cup Fosters Pot I'll be close at 1.2 ounces.

Still, I really like this setup.

.df

.es

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I included the weight of the lighter at 1.8oz. Don't care except to compare apples to apples.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

This durable kit weighs 44 grams:

BGET tray with ground protect disc and storage container.

EZ-Fold windscreen

Stainless Steel pot support

Aluminum pot with 10 fluid ounce capacity.

Aluminum pot lid.

6 strike anywhere matches in small Ziploc.

Aluminum pot is used to store all items and is capped off with seal tight plastic lid.

photo 44 gram kit_zpswhodw9wm.jpg

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools