Topic

More than minimalist, less than traditional trail runner needed.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) More than minimalist, less than traditional trail runner needed.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

My old blue Flyroc 310s are finally shot and I need a new shoe. I've been running in Trail Gloves for the past couple years and have tried hiking in them but my feet get sore in them over 8 miles while carrying a pack. I've also tried a pair of Montrail trail runners (Rock Rigde I think) and they were too stiff and all the padding absorbed a ton a water and took forever to dry. I then tried a pair of Merrell Mix Masters but the lack of rock plate made me feet starting hurting after about 10 miles. After trying all three of those shoes I've just been hiking in my Flyrocs because I can do 25 miles in them without my feet bruising and they dry fast after I splash through a creek. They've also been very, very durable. I got them in 2008 and probably have over 1000 miles on them. But they're missing a few lugs and the tread is pretty worn down so they don't have the traction they used to.

I'm looking for a shoe with 4mm-9mm of drop (if its on the lower end I'd need a rock plate), quick drying, good traction on rocky ground, and durable. I know my Flyrocs were an anomaly and I'll probably never get 6 years out of a trail runner again but a few years would be nice. It seem like most lightweight shoes have a bad track record of upper durability. I've looked at NB 1010's, Altra Superiors, and my Mix Masters and they have reports of the uppers tearing within a year.

At the top of the list for me are Inov-8 Trailroc 255's or 245's. There's also the NB 1010v2's which have a revised upper. And I want to like the Altra Superiors but the reviews give me pause. Anyone have long term experience or used any of these shoes for 25+ mile days with a pack? Are there any other shoes I should consider?

Adam

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The Trailroc 245s or 255s are worth a look. The lighter Roclites as well. The LaSportiva Anakonda and C-Lite also.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

New b mt110 for me. I also have the winter version which are awesome as well.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

I've found the La Sportiva Helios to be exceptionally durable, at least for trail running. They also fit your "more/less" criteria. 4mm drop & light.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I'd second the Helios suggestion. Its probably my favorite trail shoe I've ever used. The sole is made out of this mix of foamy stuff & climbing rubber that slightly conforms to the terrain, so the grip is incredible. The upper has a glove like fit with great lateral stability (Locks your foot down). I wear out the soles before I wear out the uppers. At 6'2" 170 the foamy stuff thins out after a while & I get more rocks poking through, so at that point I'll add another insole for extra protection.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

What don't you like about the Flyrocs? Or did I miss that they are discontinued and you're looking for a replacement?

I really like Flite195s but they're probably too minimal for you. They make a 230 version, but I've never tried them.

Edit: I just searched and looks like my assumption about them being discontinued might be right. Based on their description, you might try the Roclites. Fairly popular on here, though I prefer the more precise fit of the flite195 and it's sister the xtalon190 (probably puts me in the minority on this forum of wide shoe lovers).

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

I can't find the Flyrocs anywhere, otherwise I'd get another pair. I'm kicking myself for not buying some years ago!

I like the looks of the La Sportivas, I'll look into those a little more.

Thanks!

Adam

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

In case anyone was waiting on a resolution, I ended up going with the new Merrell All Out Rush. 6mm drop, 16mm cushion, and 5mm lugs. I haven't weighed them yet but they are on the heavier side.

I used them last weekend for a 9.6 mile day hike that took me through mud, creeks, snow, and ice. They gripped well but seemed to absorb more water than my Flyrocs. My feet felt good afterwards and I didn't get any blisters despite my feet being soaked for most of the 4 hours I was out. My initial impression is positive and I look forward to putting some more miles on them. Now to find a way to stick some velcro on them to attach my Dirty Girls…

Adam

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools