Topic

Backpacks Staining Your Shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpacks Staining Your Shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I just got back from a couple of days backpacking at the Point Reyes National Seashore here in California. It was my first trip with my new Miniposa pack and my new Icebreaker Mako zip-tee.

Both were awesome…until I got home and took the shirt off. In the sweaty battle of back vs. pack, the pack won; the black pad sleeves seem to have rather permanently stained my Icebreaker shirt. There is no staining at all where my pad was exposed and not covered by the mesh pad sleeves. Which was white, to boot – now it's, um, white with blackish-red stains.

Nathan is not, not, NOT a happy camper. I live where it can be hot as blazes, and I must hike in light-colored clothing at times. Has anyone else come across this issue of backpanel materials staining worn clothing, with wool or synthetics?

(…or how I can wash/rinse out the remaining dye in the pad sleeves so this doesn't happen again?)

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

I had an original Mariposa and now a Mariposa plus custom and haven't noticed any stain problems with these packs. I've heard this complaint before though. The last hike I did carrying the Mariposa was quite warm, around 80-85deg., but I can't remember if I was wearing a light or dark shirt, either way, no stains. Although, I have sweat stains on the mesh.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Exact same thing happened to me — mariposa plus backpack, white shirt, result is something that looks akin to ink stains all over the back of the shirt.

So what? I only plan to use the shirt backpacking, so …

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Ditto for the Mariposa Plus and my supplex shirt. No biggie for me either.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Wow I wouldn't like that either, especially considering the cost of Icebreaker shirts.

You might try soaking the backpack in salted water, which as best I recall is used to help set dyes. Then of course, rinse it really well.

I would probably try washing the shirt a few times to see if the dye will leach out of it. You might try rubbing bar soap into the stained shirt, scrubbing it against itself, and then rinsing, before laundering it in your normal method. If all else failed, I would probably personally consider using a light bleach solution in the washer, especially on a light colored shirt.

That's really a bummer.

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Hey, thanks for all your responses and ideas. It's a "big deal" for me because:
    – Icebreakaz be 'spensive.
    – I want to know how I can be assured this won't happen to ALL my clothing!
    – I take "multi-use" into account when buying clothing; performance clothing is expensive and I'd like to use it backpacking, dayhiking, kayaking, bike riding, skeet shooting, nerf herding…

Pamela, your suggestions were great, thanks a ton…I am most concerned about getting excess dye removed from the pad sleeves of the pack than one piece of clothing, so I will definitely give that a try. I'll also follow up with Gossamer Gear customer service and see if they have any suggestions.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

I don't have any direct experience with your exact problem, but I would suggest you try a product called "Zout" – not "Shout" but "Zout". I think you can get it at Bed and Bath here in the Bay Area. It can be a bit hard to find.

I've used it to rescue many a T shirt or dress shirt from wine, blood, chocolate, oil stains, etc. Works like a miracle and might solve your immediate staining problem.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

That or I believe there's a formulation of Oxy-Clean that is advertised as safe for delicates (which would cover the Icebreaker, I presume)

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

my dad had problems with his mariposia staining his shirt, but it wasent the black mesh sleeves, it was the orange from his therma-rest prolite 3

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

If you check out the product pages for the Mari/Miniposa on GG's site you'll see that they're very aware of this issue and have some info on what to do.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Nathan:

Have you tried laundering your shirts with bleach (Clorox)?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools