Topic

New camera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography New camera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

I am in the market for a new camera for backpacking and am considering the following:
    Panasonic GM1 w/ 12-32 lens:
    Olympus PM2 w/ 14-42 lens
    Olympus PL5 w/ 14 – 42 lens

I am very concerned with weight and size.I have not had the opportunity to actually hold any of these cameras, so I am relying on online research and would appreciate your input. Are there others that I should consider.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

When selecting a new camera, it helps if you can predict what kind of photography you do. For example, if you say that you shoot general scenery 95% of the time, then that means something. If you say that you shoot star trails at night, then that might mean something totally different. If you shoot rapidly moving subjects, then that is something else.

–B.G.–

AT Hiker

@nooga

Thanks for your comments. i would say that when hiking, I like to photograph landscapes, wild flowers, people, etc. On my previous hikes, I have used a Lumix TS3. I really like that it is waterproof and shockproof, but looking for something more capable and with a better autofocus. Would be nice if it could deal with lower light situations, such as early morning or people in shelters. Certainly not looking for something to shoot action sports or use long telephoto lens.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I've written this before, but I've never regretted spending more on a camera. I am very happy with the Sony RX100: compact, fairly light, great lens, many useful features. It may cost more than you planned, or weigh a bit more, but it works so well I think it's worth it.

AT Hiker

@nooga

Thanks for your comments. I will add the Sony and Nikon to my list.

Timothy Epp

@rush2112

Locale: Southwest British Columbia

I'll second the Sony RX100. Fantastic image quality and very light/ compact. The batteries last a good while and they are extremely light. I bought the Sony 49mm filter adapter so I can now use CP filters or any other filter.

h h

@yh001

Locale: New England

Have you taken a look at the Olympus OM-D E-M1? The body is weather-sealed (so are the Olymous lenses). I've been VERY happy with mine. I usually bring along a 12mm lens for a low profile when hitting the trail along with a very small tripod in my pack.

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

I have been happy with my Nikon 1 V1. As it is a couple of models back now it should be fairly inexpensive to pick one up

Love the fast autofocus on it, the built in viewfinder and the small lenses. Also like the fact that it has a large battery so I can get a large number of shots without having to swap it

Simon Harper
    BPL Member

@sjharper

Just took my GM-1 out for a first adventure. Ski-touring in the Pyrenees. Very happy with the landscape quality. It fits easily in a jacket/hip belt pocket too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools