Topic

New Inflatable PFD

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting New Inflatable PFD

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David Beechey
    BPL Member

@imp

Locale: UK

Recently got one of these… just got to get my new Denali Llama out there to try it now !

Inflatable PFD

http://www.packrafting-store.de/Safety/Anfibio-Buoy-Boy::499.html?language=en

It packs down very small and is pretty light weight at 310g for the smaller size (blue) AND 365g for the larger (red) one. The optional crotch strap adding 30g. It has 2 inflation chambers each with a dedicated spring loaded mouth valve.

It does not conform to any designated Standards and is not an accredited or certified PFD.

No afiliation etc just a customer passing on knowledge of new gear out there :)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've got an inflatable PDF that uses the same type of valve as the Alpacka seats. It's a single chamber design that's used in the aircraft industry. Once I removed the CO2 canister it's 125g (4.4oz).

Obviously this isn't an accredited PFD. Model is EAM GA-12:
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/lifevest2.php

Jean-Francois Jobin
    BPL Member

@jfjobin

Good find Dave.

inflated ,comfort is good when paddling?or just tolerable?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I haven't actually taken it out paddling yet, so I can't really comment. Greg used one on the BMWO last year where we did nearly 50 miles of paddling and he spoke favourably of it. It's got a decent amount of float (17 lbs) but obviously your eggs are all in one basket with a single chamber. It basically looks like you're wearing an Alpacka seat.

OGGWild
    BPL Member

@wickdwarm_n_dry

Locale: Central Ohio

There are a few of the airline "PFDs" (the EAM GA-12s) on eBay for under $15. For anyone who has seen them, do you think that they'd be sufficient under most circumstances on class 2 streams and lakes?

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Canyonlands has the following rule for flat water trips longer than 2 miles: "One approved, serviceable type I, III, or V personal flotation device (PFD) for each trip participant." What's the lightest type I, III or V PFD?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The MTI Journey is well under 1 pound.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"There are a few of the airline "PFDs" (the EAM GA-12s) on eBay for under $15. For anyone who has seen them, do you think that they'd be sufficient under most circumstances on class 2 streams and lakes?" The expired ones I've played with are pretty sturdy. I'd feel okay in them in Class 1 and 2. I'd remove the CO2 cartridge and as much of the triggering mechanism as possible and inflate it by mouth. Practice before and make sure you can deflate it as well. I'm amused that you can clearly see in some of the eBay listing photos, "Theft of emergency equipment is a federal criminal offense" and the expiration dates of some of the lifejackets are from the 1990's, even the 1970's. My concern about them is not the usability, but the comfort. If it isn't comfortable to wear all day long, you won't. Any PFD you wear ALL the time you're on the water is better than one you don't.

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

Dave C: Is the MTI Journey what you use? It looks like a good, simple, light vest and a great price; my only concern is the lack of pockets. I've been considering the chance/likelihood of losing my packraft in a spill and needing basic survival/fire starting materials in the PFD if I can't catch up to the raft. I'm shopping for a PFD now, so the topic is very pertinent. Interested if others have suggestions of what has worked for them.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I use an old Stolquist PFD I've had for ages. It's pretty similar to the MTI but a little heavier. Pockets in a PFD can be problematic, too much bulk up front can make getting back into your boat harder. For wilderness packrafting I stow firestarters and a flashlight in interior pockets of my upper body layers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools