Topic

New Balance MT910V1 and MT910V1GTX Trail Shoes Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable New Balance MT910V1 and MT910V1GTX Trail Shoes Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Thanks Roger agian for covering these shoes over the last year or so! I'm basically hooked on the UL-1 last now, and was looking at the 910's the other day on the NB website. These, and the next run of 1210's should keep me satisfied for a while.

Alister R Barnes
    Spectator

@arb

Locale: Piha

There is a considerable difference between the wet grip that shoes from different manufacturers provide. Even between different soles from the same maker.
    One pair we have provides good grip on dry rocks, but are lethal when the same rocks are wet from rain. I know you may have problems finding a suitable test location, but is it possible for you to comment?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Absolutely agree!!! Some of the synthetic soles grip wonderfully in the dry and are skating rinks in the wet.

To the best of my memory, none of the NB shoes I have ever tested have had any problems in the wet. There was one brand I reviewed (I forget which) which did skate badly, but it was not NB.

More specifically – we have been running in the 910s in the rain recently, over some rock (sandstone), and the grip was excellent.

Cheers

Alister R Barnes
    Spectator

@arb

Locale: Piha

Thanks. Good to know.

Just to add, a salesman told be that there were 101 versions of vibram. Certainly I have three pairs from one manufacturer which use vibram, all of which have different hardness characteristics. Don't know how this affects wet grip.

I now avoid any gortex lined shoes. Inevitably water gets in, but not out. Swamp feet.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

It a weird issue – I guess I should understand the physics better, but I don't. I resole all of my shoes in 5-10 aqua-stealth – a harder version of rock climbing sole rubber designed for underwater and wet grip which it does great.

In the other hand, while it grips everything stronger than anything else I have ever used (not being an actual rock climber), there is a certain kind of floor and polish I have found, particularity in grocery stores, where it suddenly become exactly like an ice rink. Very weird.

So if you ever hear I slipped and broke my neck on a thru hike, it will probably be during a resupply.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I've not noticed any performance upgrades with the models with Vibram soles. Wear has been just as fast as any other trail shoe I've tried. Wet traction with the 889s is terrible. Passable with the Leadvilles. So maybe New Balance sees no need to continue down that path. Why pay somebody else and get nothing in return.
    I am happy with the Leadvilles though. Glad to hear them being continued. If I could only find a place that stocks more than one pair in a size 15. Can't wait for subdued colors to become fashionable.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Well, now I have to admit that I simply cannot find the Mens version of the 1210s on the NB web site at all. One day I can buy my size and width in volume (3 pairs); the next day they simply don't exist. Don't ask me: I have NO IDEA!

Cheers

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

"In the other hand, while it grips everything stronger than anything else I have ever used (not being an actual rock climber), there is a certain kind of floor and polish I have found, particularity in grocery stores, where it suddenly become exactly like an ice rink. Very weird. "

I walked into an A&W restaurant with my merrel trail gloves and I was like a ice rink… it was very suprising. I almost fell face first in front of everyone. That's the first time I've experienced that.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

NB is infamous for suddenly discontinuing what seem to be successful items.

Or as any American woman instinctively knows…… if you find shoes or pants that fit you well and make you look and feel good, IMMEDIATELY return to the store and buy three more, before they get discontinued. If you REALLY REALLY like them, buy 6 more

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I know about the skating. Really FUN.

Many years ago an Asian company came out with a new tyre made with synthetic rubber. Cheaper to make and they claimed a longer life as well. They were imported into Australia and sold for a (little) while. THEN people tried them out in the rain. Aaahhh …

I still like carbon rubber.

Cheers

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

March 6, apparently you guys will be able to get an additional hit of the 1210's. Hope you can hold off the shakes until then. As for me, like Trace, I when to "the man" a few weeks back and bought some half-priced close outs.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Stay away from the women's versions…but Joes has a nice selection still….

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/search_results.asp

I've ordered a few tines from here and they're great.

Travis W
    Spectator

@lobopac

Locale: Central Valley, CA

Curious why avoid the women's version ? Was thinking of picking up for my wife at Joe's. .

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

"Curious why avoid the women's version ? Was thinking of picking up for my wife at Joe's. "

I guess I should have specifically mentioned Avoid the women's version in size 10. Until I can buy a bunch. Then have at it!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jennifer

Remember that the Womens version comes in sizes B & D. If your feet are that narrow, fine. But I know a lot of female walkers these days just buy the Mans version.

Cheers

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Thanks for the heads up Roger…but yes, my feet are super duper narrow. To be honest, during my first trip with the shoes I was worried because I couldn't seem to get them cinched up tight enough. But I kept working at it and now I just love 'em

Travis W
    Spectator

@lobopac

Locale: Central Valley, CA

Ah…missed the other thread. She's a 9 or 9.5, so we're not going to be competing.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools