Topic

Zebralight H52 head strap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Zebralight H52 head strap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

From 0.5oz cuben, 1/4" folded over edges, with 4" length of packaging clear plastic (like in blister packaging) to stiffen up the center section. Total weight with lithium AA is 2.05oz.

Steve

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Ok that's cool.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I like that too, though I think it'd make my forehead sweat pretty quickly. May as well throw in some shock cord/elastic to hold the light on too, those "holders" are a bit on the chunky side.

light

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I am still using the older H51, so it is supposedly a hair heavier than the newer H52… but, when I got my H51, one of the first things I did was change out the headband and drop a ton of weight… I had some flat elastic cord that I had picked up at Wal-Mart. I sewed 2 smaller loops that would fit around the headlight, then measured out a longer piece for the actual headband, slipped the 2 smaller loops on and then sewed the ends together. It saved a lot of weight, and works just as well. However, after a couple of months, the elastic will stretch out some so I just cut a small section off and resew it back together. It really does work great… and the best thing, with a single lithium AA battery, the total weight is 56.69 g, or 2.0 oz on the nose!

ZLH51

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Here's mine!

This is made from cuben, shock cord and a tiny cord lock. the weight of the strap is .09 oz and the total weight of the light and strap is 1.76 oz. It is very comfortable too.

zebra

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Chad, by going the non-Zebralight strap route, you've lost the glow-in-the-dark holder. You could fix that up with some luminescent tape. I find the tape is brighter than glow-in-the-dark paint.

–B.G.–

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

My wife got an H52 last week and it just came with a black holder, no glow in the dark. I was slightly disappointed because I love this glow in the dark holder for my H51 (easy to find in the tent). At least now we can tell them apart. Perhaps Zebralight is stopping this.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Perhaps Zebralight is stopping this."

Yes, now you get only the black holder as a standard part. You can order the optional GITD holder.

I think that is called price creep. The GITD holder used to be a standard part.

–B.G.–

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Bob, I am fine without the GITD holder. Sure its neat and all but not necessary for me. I usually just slide the headlamp down from my head to my neck when going to bed so I always know where it is.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I had no idea that lithium batteries were lighter until this thread. There was a quarter ounce difference between the two. I'm happy with this new found knowledge.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Not only are primary lithiums lighter in weight, but they have a few times more energy density as well (they last longer). Additionally, they operate to colder temperatures, and they can supply higher instantaneous current. Sadly, they cost a lot more money.

–B.G.–

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I thought that strap was a stretched out tighty whitey waistband…

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I just put the holder on the strap on the back of my ball-style cap, and wear it backwards. Guess Ive been doing it wrong.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Nice, but apparently there already exist a better solution:
    Mouth-held Flashlight

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Haha… I hope not! :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools