Topic

Lance Marshall Rain Mitt Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Lance Marshall Rain Mitt Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AJ Groff
    Spectator

@ajgroff

Locale: Midwest

I am wondering if anybody who has made these can help me out with something? I want to make a pair of these out of tyvek as a test run before I try cuben. When I cut out the mitt patterns and tape them together as instructed one is bigger than the other which makes sense because one is the back side and one is the palm side. After you sew/glue the thumb together how do you attach the finger portions of the mitt together? Its just not making sense to me and seems like faric would have to be bunched up somewhere along the seem in the finger end.. Thanks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

For your first pair, you might want to work with a fabric that is a little more forgiving, like stretchy polyester fleece. You can manipulate it so that one surface is stretched more than the other.

Another approach is to make the front and back surfaces the same size, and once sewn together, you can forcibly stretch the back side.

–B.G.–

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I used that pattern a while ago to make some out of emergency poncho Dry Ducks material, sealed with 1/4" cuben tape once sewn. Came in at 0.4oz. Not really for usage with poles.

Hate to say it, but the pattern went together great for me. Once the two palm halves are sewn together, I remember the front and back going together with no excess. I do remember having to trim the thumbs as they were too long.

As long as your tyvek is light weight (kite tyvek), I think using that for a first run would be fine. Cuben doesn't stretch much so tyvek will be good practice. But why cuben? Seems something breathable would be more comfortable.

Steve

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Hi AJ, the front and back pattern pieces should match up exactly. Have you checked that size medium and size large patterns didn't get mixed up? Make sure the paper margins are trimmed accurately where needed. Also, check to make sure your printer didn't reduce or enlarge a page. -Lance

AJ Groff
    Spectator

@ajgroff

Locale: Midwest

Thank you Bob, Steve, and Lance! your mitts look great Steve. I got it figured out with some sheet fabric. Now Im just waitng for my 3m 77 glue to show up. I was just going to use some tyvek from the post office. I have a little extra cuben but might wait to try that if the tyvek mitts are working good.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

For the cuff, I created a hem that can accept bungee cord (with a hot cut hole, reinforced by thicker cuben). But the cord lock needs to stay in place. I didn't want to sew anything to hold the cord lock in place, so the cord lock is attached to a thin length of cuben that is also in the hem (all the way around the wrist, tied in a loop). The cuben is used as very light weight string, so when the bungee is pulled to adjust through the cord lock, the cord lock is held in place by the "string" around your wrist.

Steve

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi,
    Made this some time with Lances pattern, Housewrap tyvek and 3m superglue.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60999

Like Lance said you've probably mix up sizes as when I made them everything went easy. Make sure you dry em good before turning right side out otherwise you could compromise bonds. I used tinny brush to apply the super glue as spraying it would be to messy and you:'ll need to cover the parts so you dont get glue everywhere. Dirt catches to exposed glue once you stick em together so my bonds were not that clean looking.

I did work with lighter Tyvek (kite stuff) but they were to fragile. I would use two sorts tyvek for this. Homewrap for palm side and lighter kite stuff for upper side of the mitt.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools