Topic

How Many Pairs of Socks Do You Carry?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How Many Pairs of Socks Do You Carry?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Brian Crain
    Spectator

@brcrain

Locale: So Cal

My feet sweat a lot and I've had the early stages of trench foot while in the USMC – thankfully it was caught early and only involved a lot of pain, some meds, and scraping. Since then I tend to take better care of my feet (better boots and socks mainly) and keep them dry. On a single overnighter I take 2 pair and anything longer I take 3. As is the case for most of the above, I dedicate one for sleeping, that is the pair I wear the next day and constantly wash/rotate through the three pairs.

AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

Wear one, one for sleeping and a spare…..3 pair. I wear the sleeping socks into town on my resupply day.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Usually one spare pair. You could convince me to carry two for a wet winter trip, as there is little chance of getting the rotating pair dry unless there is a campfire.

There's nothing like stuffing your feet into cold wet socks and wet boots at dawn. Lovely, delightful…. NOT!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"There's nothing like stuffing your feet into cold wet socks and wet boots at dawn."

The only thing that is worse is stuffing your feet into frozen socks and boots at dawn.

But, as they used to tell us in the Army, it's good training.

–B.G.–

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I wear liner socks any time I hike, so my answer's a bit different. I bring more liner socks than hiking socks (almost never more than 2 pairs of hiking socks) and for trips under a week I'll just bring one pair of hiking socks and swap liners out every 2 days. Liners are super light, so switching them out every 2 days is a small weight penalty for a major luxury. They also keep my regular socks from getting smelly as quickly; I find that when I wear liners my regular socks can go for 4 days and be fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools