Topic

210d Dyneema X Gridstop-Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 210d Dyneema X Gridstop-Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I prefer a drawstring closure for the top of my backpack bag. Has anyone used a drawstring closure with 210d Dyneema X Gridstop from thru-hiker?

I'm wondering if the stiffness of the Dyneema interferes with the fabric gathering as the drawstring is tightened.

I've only used uncoated ripstop (<2 ounces per square yard) on previous packs and it gathers easily when closed.

I'd like to get some closure on this topic.

Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

Locale: Steiermark

My old Golite Gust backpack is made of dyneema gridstop and has a drawstring closure at the top. It closes just fine. I can't decide if I should unpick the whole pack and use it as a pattern for Dyneema/Cuben hybrids. I really love it as a pack and of course once it's gone…
    Matt

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

If you have doubts about the stiffness, just make the actual tunnel out of a different fabric, lighter and more flexible.

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

Locale: Cascadia

Daryl, the X Grid closes just fine.
    It only gets slightly thick.
    We do it all the time.

How tall the tube is has a bearing on it also. A tube short in height would be harder to close than a taller one. Ours must be close to 1.5" to 2" tall. (I'm away right now so can't measure.) Grommets are the alternet, but drawstrings can hang up on things you are trying to stuff in small circumference packs.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Mathew, Paul, Dan,

Thanks for the responses.

I am now more than prepared to move forward with confidence toward closure on this subject.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

sew in a bunch of tiny loops of grosgrain or webbing can take the place of grommets.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

David, great idea, I never thought of that.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Another way is to heat a hole through the fabric with a paperclip, or thicker. High heats will burn it (like red hot. Slow work, it may take 5 minutes to do a pack. The melting seem to form a good ring around raw fadric. On heavier stuff, like tarp/staff keepers, I use a 12 or 16 penny nail.

Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

Locale: Steiermark

Hi Daryl,
    if it's any help, here are a few photos of the Golite Gust.Golite Gust

Here is a closeup of the collar. It has a good 1 inch tube for the drawstring, as mentioned above.Gust drawstring open

Here it is closed up:Gust drawstring closed

There is slight resistance to the drawcord when you close it up, but that is from the heavy PU coating. The grommet is just straight through the dyneema, but I would be tempted to add some grosgrain and go through both layers with the grommet. Personally, I would also use 140d dyneema for the whole of the collar as it is a low wear point. Good luck.
    Matt

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

I'm adding the grommet ideas to my trick bag. I'm sure they will come in handy somewhere.

Mathew,

Photos were very helpful.

Thanks.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Daryl,
    I did what David Olsen suggested with a dark green 'white widow' spectra gridstop pack made in 2007. The fabric is similar in weight, around 4 oz. For strength, a light half inch webbing was used rather than grosgrain or twill tape for the loops.

The sleeve does not go completely over the pack contents, leaving an opening of a few inches when tightly cinched at the top. But this is OK, because there is another sleeve sewn inside it made of lighter WP fabric that has lighter loops of quarter inch wide cord with another drawstring and cord lock. The inside sleeve cinches up to a tight closure (there is a top pocket that goes over this).

The idea was for the outside sleeve to take all the pressure of compressing the pack contents, and the inner sleeve to provide water resistance. It has worked very well, with no loops pulling out. I don't think grommets could have withstood the pressure I put on the outside sleeve when jamming everything in for a week.

Sorry I don't have a photo of the pack with the top pocket off and the sleeves in view. The dark green gridstop makes it hard to see any detail anyway. Here, you can see what I mean:
    AD pack-full

In addition to the top pocket and tailored bottle pockets on the outside, there is an additional envelope pocket on the inside for maps, notebooks, flat items that need to be kept dry.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Samuel,

"Sorry I don't have a photo of the pack with the top pocket off and the sleeves in view."

No problem. Your words paint a good picture.
    Thanks for the example, experience and info.
    That's a nice looking pack.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools