Topic

How much weight will I shed if I start trimming the straps on my pack (Lowe Alpine Zepton 50?)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How much weight will I shed if I start trimming the straps on my pack (Lowe Alpine Zepton 50?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Kuzak

@kc

I leave the "brain" of my Exos 58 home. Saves me 4 ounces but leaves a hole since the pack closes via drawcord. Hasn't caused any problems, but I like the design of the new Exos since it has a flap to cover it.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Have little S-biners on the ends, which I clip to the wrist lanyards of my camera on one side and GPS on the other. "

Actually, this is very nice!

"The brain is a top pocket that often covers the top opening of a backpack."

i.e. Most of the time a useless organ for a UL backpacker.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Rafi,

The fairly typical 1" wide nylon webbing shown below weighs .228 ounces per foot of length.
    x

Assuming webbing variation and dirt accumulation over time I think a rough guide for removal of 1" wide webbing might be a savings of about 1 ounce for every 4 feet removed. (thinner, nylon gross grain webbing weighs about half as much as this webbing)

So if you were able to trim off 100 feet of webbing, you would save enough weight to carry, say, an extra sleeping bag.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools