Topic

arc teryx nuclei & MH thermostatic hooded <$145

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals arc teryx nuclei & MH thermostatic hooded <$145

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

My xenon died, so I've been on the look out for similarly light hooded synthetic jackets for a deal. I've tried both of these on & they seem to be great jackets, close to as warm as the xenon & a little lighter & better fitting. The nuclei is basically a xenon clone design wise. Nice move by arc teryx.
    Here's the nuclei:
    http://m.zappos.com/arcteryx-nuclei-hoody-chipotle?ef_id=Ut-Z2wAABCWXGxd3:20140217150527:s

& the thermostatic hooded jacket is at camp saver for $175 + %20 off
    http://www.campsaver.com/thermostatic-hooded-jacket-men-s

Use coupon: 'PRES20' for extra $20 off

There's a bunch of other good stuff already on sale there to combine with that coupon such as some westcomb & rab neoshell jackets.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

thanks much, just went for the arcteryx nuclei. i didn't like those colors, but found a nice blue heron one on sale at another retailer and used my cleansnipe.com account to save even more. to add to your deal, you can save an additional 6% off the campsaver price you listed for the thermotastic through cleansnipe.com

my personal invite to cleansnipe is below…full disclosure, i get 5$ if you sign up. it takes a second and is no obligation, no credit card or anything. nothing to lose, only more % off. you just have to wait 90 days and they transfer the money to your paypal account. ive done it before and gotten paid.

http://www.cleansnipe.com/#referral-adamkramer-rddra

there are some super sick deals out there right now…i picked up a westcomb specter lt (3 layer event jacket, 11oz) to go over my nuclei at campsaver for $134 after the pres20 coupon (takes it down to $143, and then an additional 6% off from cleansnipe. (edit: only xl left but you can find it close at other retailers)

http://www.campsaver.com/specter-lt-hoody-men-s

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Damn, zappos is fast. I ordered the nuclei in a M and L to decide between along with a thermostatic hooded in a M. I'll write up a quick comparison when I get the thermostatic, and let you know which I decide on. First impressions of the nuclei is that it seems pretty warm for a synthetic. I don't think it feels quite as warm as the xenon did when it was new, but thats pretty subjective, and it seems darn close. I was hanging out outside for about 10 minutes with the temp hovering just above freezing with just a t-shirt and felt comfortable. Thats about what I expected, but its a good indication that it will do what I need it to. Cut is better than the xenon, better articulation and longer sleeves for when I'll be climbing in it (hopefully not often!). The zipper is smoother, bigger and seems more durable than the xenon, which was the final nail in the xenon's coffin after adding about an oz and a half of duct tape for tears, and losing a good deal of warmth. The size M is to spec 10.2 oz with stuff sack, and the L is 11oz. The sleeves are long, and the M fits my 6'2 170lb frame closely, but I think between these to sizes, I'd go with an L for more coverage and so I can layer my light down puffy under it when needed. Anyway, this may be TMI, since there doesn't seem to be much interest around it, but I thought I'd chime in since I'm happy to have found a good replacement for whats been one of my most used and favorite pieces. I'll post a quick comparo in the gear section when I get the thermostatic. Also, if anyone wants a size M nuclei in red, I'd send it to you for $145 including shipping, since I'll have to pay shipping to get it back to zappos anyway.

Activejunky.com is good too, with deals like %8 cash back at campsaver, %12 at backcountry and %13 at moosejaw. I've gotten a couple payments to my paypal so far.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

The Nuclei is a phenomenal jacket. I've had mine about 8 months and worn it pretty much daily on weekends and during the week at work (which is all outside) from warm temps down to zero. The durability surprises me quite a bit, as does the comfortable temperature range of the jacket. I haven't yet been cold in it and have always worn just a short sleeve shirt under it. I was once caught in a torrential, and I mean torrential downpour for about half an hour in North Bend when visiting a friend. Although the zipper leaked profusely, the rest of me was bone dry, which was impressive since the jacket is not designed for, or intended to repel rain. Drizzles and common pacnw showers are fine (zipper included). Fit is amazing too. This wasmy first Arcteryx purchase and now "I get it". The high price tag is definitely reflected in the fit, finish, and materials. I pondered picking up another one at that above price as that is just a scorching deal, but I really can't justify having two of the same piece when the one should last me for a very long time.

Nice jacket though, scoop it up.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I agree that its a very nice jacket and with annoying pocket zipper, it keeps snagging all the time and finally I had to send to Canada for Arcteryx to repair a nasty snag. I expected better design for the premium they charge.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Quick update: Going with the nuclei. The MH is nice & the thermal q seems quite warm, but the nuclei had more articulated fit with longer sleeves & a better hood. I stood outside in breezy freezing degree weather in each for about 15 minutes & it was obvious that the continuous insulation and stiffer fabric of the nuclei was doing a better job of insulating and windblocking then thestitch through design of the thermostatic.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

OK, I'll stop with the urban gear testing after this (injury is a good excuse right?), but I just thought I'd add that last night was very windy in boulder (up to 70mph gusts) and I hung out in the wind with the nuclei. The fabric is strikingly stiff, which makes it feel less cozy then something that drapes well, but that, combined with the fairly lofty 60-80 grams of core loft makes for an excellent wind block. As an ultralighter who has not owned any cardboard thick goretex jackets, this is probably the most wind resistant piece that I have ever used. The warmth per weight, the fit & finish & wind resistance make this a really killer jacket. A not shabby at all xenon replacement. Now I'm back to the question M or L? Form fitting & efficient or better coverage?

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

I'm enjoying the ongoing review/ thought process, keep it going! I've been eying the nuclei for a few months, so this is good info. What's your build Serge? Ht/ weight, all that. If i go nuclei I want something more form fitting, for use as a winter midlayer (and would use in summer as stand alone insulation).

Rishi Sugla

@rksugla

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I'm not too familiar with the Arc'teryx line (usually far too expensive for a poor student like me to afford) so I'm not too sure what type of layer this is.

Would it be used as a nanopuff type midlayer? I'm definitely intrigued, especially after all these reviews!

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

I'm 6'2" 170. The M fits width wise but the front hem is a little shorter than I'd like. There is a fairly pronounced droptail although typical for arc teryx. The nuclei is in the same category as the nano, a light synthetic insulated jacket, but its way better IMO starting with being 2.5 oz lighter for the hoody, but in performance & fit as well. For the last couple years I've used a synthetic puffy for my main insulation in the warmer 6 months & to bolster my action & insulation layers in colder winter conditions. This year I splurged on a light down puffy, but I think I just needlessly complicated things since this will do everything the light down does (minus a little warmth) & much more.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

So mine arrived yesterday. Size large. Beautiful dark, heron blue with neon green accents. i've tried on A LOT of jackets. one word on this one: WOW. This jacket will go with me on almost all of my next adventures down to 30 degrees. my new favorite. with sales and cleansnipe discounts, i got it for $169 shipped to my door.

as far as fit, im 6'0, 180 and usually wear a large. The large fits perfectly at the hem and waist (i can wear a R1 under if i need to), the sleeves are long (about 1-2 inches) but they easily bunch up around the wrists and don't look funny. i rationalize two advantages to long sleeves: 1. you don't lose valuable heat through the wrists every time your reach up/down and 2. you can use your extended sleeves as additional hand warmers when needed.

more details: my large came in at 10.65 oz without stuff sac and i cut off the long tags on the bottom side. it has a great draw-cord hem that drops considerably in the back. the hood seals around the face without a helmet and is not restrictive. the fabric around the edge of the hood and cuff is a home run as far as durability over traditional lycra. face fabric is totally burly (compared to softer nano puff) and was amazingly water resistant under the faucet test. it feels much warmer and wind resistant than a nano hoody due to its lack of quilted seams (besides the fact that it has a better hood and 20g more insulation in the torso).

Rishi Sugla

@rksugla

I'm 5'11 and 175 pounds, lanky arms but broad shoulders. Would a medium or large be a better choice?

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Medium. I'm 6'4" (but have a shortish torso) and 200lbs and the large is a *perfect* fit on me. I'm of the broader shouldered variety as well. I get larges in all of my jackets/shirts too so I would say this piece is a true fit for it's size, just cut nicely, so I would order whatever you usually order for a jacket/shirt.

Rishi Sugla

@rksugla

Ok thank you! I seem to be in that awkward middle ground where a middle or large can fit me depending on the cut.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

i personally think the large will fit you also, depending on how you like the cut. i went with large for more coverage. i would say a large will cover your butt in its entirely, but the sleeves will not be overly long. i am 6'0 with average arm length and can live with the length for sure. the medium will be an athletic cut on you and the hem in the front will be about waist high i'm guessing. the large on me drops an inch below the waist in the front and almost covers my entire butt. it is an athletic cut, so even though the large is bigger, it's still not baggy.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Everything degrades with use; I think that argument with synthetic jackets gets blown way out of proportion. I've had synthetic pieces for 15 years that have tons of holes in the shell from years of use, but are still toasty warm and function famously, hence while I still use them despite the ragged appearance. Since all my quilts are down and I typically wear a jacket to augment the temp rating, going synthetic makes sense too. If the down gets saturated for some reason, the synthetic will help save my butt.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

With modern UL synth jackets

By the time the loft degraded to where its unusable the ul fabric should be worn out and full of holes

If you are using them the way they are meant to be used

;)

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I have the atom and only use it for urban use. It's about 14oz. The nuclei will be warmer for it's weight 10oz. One reason is it doesn't have fleece side panels like the atom that lets a breeze suck all the warmth away. The nuclei would be much better for ul backpacking.

However, the atom has better cuffs, amazing actually. For urban use the fleece side panels help the atom breathe well so I don't suddenly start sweating. The atom has more of a matte fabric, not shiney and I have the all black which looks casual for around the city.

There is a new atom getting released that will come with an adjustable hood. But the nuclei is very light if that's what you are after.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

After all this chatter I decided to pick up a Nuclei from 6pm. This is my first piece of gear from Arcteryx. Awesome cut, lightweight, fits under my shells and definitely feels warmer than my nano puff.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

that i will be returning. ended up going with the large.

let me know if anyone is interested and ill pass the deal along.

[email protected]

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

How are folks getting on with the Nuclei?

I got one a while back but have only used it a few times as its been crazy warm in Michigan.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools