Topic

Sweden’s E1 Trails

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Sweden’s E1 Trails

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Just finished the first section of these trails, trip report can be found here:

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/02/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden.html

I will post more reports in this thread in the future as I chip away at this 1200km system of trails.

74 pics to match roughly 74km length of this first section, though I did cheat a bit and skip out on some boring suburbs and farmland hiking by taking a bus out to where the woodsy part of the trail begins. Completed the rest in two section hikes.

On my second section hike I ran into one of the oddest and more difficult trail hiking I've done in some time. Let's just say I have a new found respect for tightrope walkers.

Hope you enjoy, and as always questions and constructive feedback always welcome :)

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

Thanks for the report and pictures!

It looks like the fallen trees could be the damage of something like a smaller microburst. I've seen this sort of damage plenty of times in southern Michigan. Friends in Latvia have said they rarely see that sort of severe weather in the region, but I don't know how accurate that is or whether that's accurate for across the Baltic as well.

Personally, I don't mind the tree-hopping! But the clean-up takes a tremendous amount of work and time, and can further mar the surroundings when trucks have to get in somewhere more remote.

German Tourist
    BPL Member

@germantourist

Locale: in my tent

Cesar, please keep up the good work. I will hike the entire E1 in Sweden and Norway up to the North Cape in 2015 as part of my project to hike all across Europe from its Southernmost point (Tarifa in Spain) to its Northernmost point. I have just finished the first part from Germany to Tarifa (3,800 km).

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.de/search/label/Southern%20Europe

It would be a great help for future thruhikers if you could include resupply information into your report (food and especially gas canisters).

I have bookmarked your blog and will definitely use it as a planning resource for my upcoming trip.

Thanks for all the work you put into your trip reports – future thruhikers will really appreciate it.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

ML – Thanks for the kind words. I don't mind tree hopping either most of the time, when conditions are safer and I am not in a race with the sun. I crossed 5 or 6 different trees, one of which was not very thick, and all of them were wet. Not to mention that some were also a few meters above the ground, and all the jagged branches around, and wind. Not trying to sound over-dramatic, but honestly that's a realistic description of that situation. Not so fun during, but I am a bit proud of myself now after the fact.

Tree crossings I like are in the heat of the summer climbing on a tree that hangs out into a lake and then jumping in, now that's a good time. I hope they clean up that mess, and as I said in my blog, I did indeed not only send the Hallands tourist site an email, but called them as well (but the guy in charge of the trail I was connected to didn't pick up).

Christine – Thank you for the kind words and helpful feedback. In past trip reports, like for Bohusleden, I did include resupply points. I think I was excited to get this first E1 guide out that I skipped that without meaning to, but I will soon go back and edit in some more info. I nearly always update my reports after publishing them to fix typos, add some details, etc. I can tell you right now that gas cans are a bit trickier to get. Alcohol can be found at nearly all gas stations and camping grounds with stores, and Esbit is only at specialty shops. Places I know that have gas cans are some gas stations (bigger ones like Q8 and Shell especially), Naturkompaniet, a fair amount of larger supermarkets, and hardware stores like Clas Ohlson and Jula. I don't use gas, so I am just going of memory of places I have seen them, so there could be more options.

I noticed your blog and I am in awe of the amount of trips you have under your belt. If ever there was a 10th degree black belt in backpacking, you'd probably be one. I will check out your report shortly, and good luck on your continued trips. And keep up the good work yourself!

Whenever you get to Sweden you are welcome to contact me. Maybe I can show you around, we could get a beer, or something? I'd even be down to go with you on a section hike if it's possible. And in the mean time feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns about backpacking Sweden. :)

I should have up a few more reports on the next E1 trails in the next few weeks or so.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Finally found the time to update my ongoing E1 adventures with three more sections. Think in total I uploaded around 60 pictures, most of which for Knalleleden.

Part 2 of northern Hallandsleden: http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/03/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden_20.html

Vildmarksleden: http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/03/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden.html

Knalleleden: http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/03/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden_5208.html

As always, questions and feedback are welcome and encouraged.

I hope to complete the next two sections of trail (about 70km combined) by the end of April.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Just got back from a three day trip from my ongoing E1 quest, this time roughly half of the Västra Vätterleden. Much better trail than the one before it on the E1 system.

I set two new personal records, and I feel inspired as I get closer to a long time goal of mine of putting in a full marathon (42km) day of hiking. First is my longest ever section hike, where in 3 days I hiked around 90km. I beat my previous record by a full day, as it used to be 90km in 4 days. I also put in a 37km day, edging out my previous record of 36km. Only 5 more kilometers to go for a full marathon, and I feel confident that I will be able to do this eventually–if not the near future. A big help has been my snack routines–especially large doses of both candied almonds and dates–as well as taking frequent small water/photography breaks.

This hike covered 4 different stages of this particular trail, so I will write up a report for each one sometime soon and will throw up a link here when I am finished with them.

That's all for now. I know these personal bests of mine are no big deal to some of you hardcore hikers, but just wanted to share my progress in the meantime while I write up my reports :)

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Cesar,

Great work on your reports. I think a guidebook is in your future :)

In a year or two I'll be visiting some family in Sweden and staying for a short time. I hope to get out and explore some of the trails while I'm over there. Needless to say, your trip reports are an invaluable source of information for me. Keep up the good work.

Cheers!
    Jacob.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Jacob, thank you very much for your kind words. I am glad that my reports will be helpful for you in the future! I am sure you'll have a great time visiting your family over here. If you happen to be around the Gothenburg area and have the time (and I'm not busy either) I could show you around if you want. Regardless, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions or concerns you might have for your trip here.

I hope that I can one day get a guidebook published. I have contacted a few book companies that focus on outdoor trail guide type books, but unfortunately no dice. I hope that in the future, perhaps after finishing both the E1 trails and Kungsleden, a publisher will pay more attention to me. We'll see. Until then I am happy to have my guides up as a free service on an advert-free blog.

My next section hike will probably be in about a month, where I hope to finish the VV trail.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/06/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden_30.html

I also plan on doing a post-hike video to put up on youtube to discuss gear and other nuances of this last trip.

As always, feedback encouraged and appreciated :)

Sharon J
    BPL Member

@songbird

Locale: SW Idaho

Thanks for posting, this is really helpful and inspiring! I'm following your blog now – planning to hike Sweden next year.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Thank you for the kind words! Glad to be of service. Let me know if I can help out with your trip here next year. I am sure you'll love it here. Where are you going?

Going on a section hike again in a few weeks and very excited as always. I should have another report up in a week or so after that.

Sharon J
    BPL Member

@songbird

Locale: SW Idaho

Thanks very much! I've been wanting to get to Sweden for awhile.

I was going to go this fall, and thought the Skaneleden might be the best bet for that time of year because of the more mild climate in that part of Sweden.

Since I will most likely be there in the summer instead, I will be able to choose from some of the farther north trails but have only really read about the Skaneleden up to now.

I will look forward to your next blog post, and will also take some time to read your other trip reports. The E1 may be just the thing, though I have the Kungsleden to learn about too.

Happy Trails!

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Here's Part 2 of Bergslagsleden, from last month:

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/10/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden.html

And Part 3, which I just put up:

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/11/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden.html

My last trip puts me at over 600km this year for this trail, or about halfway done.

I also updated my review of my newer Zpacks Zero, having taken it out on a few section hikes now, in case anyone is interested:

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2014/08/all-of-cesars-ultralight-backpacks.html

Really digging Bergslagsleden, and it is mos def on my "to-do-again" list of trails–might even be at the top of the list.

German Tourist
    BPL Member

@germantourist

Locale: in my tent

Cesar,

I am currently preparing my hike from Germany to the North Cape which will roughly follow the E1. Your website is a fantastic source of information! Please keep up the good work – it is a tremendous help for future hikers like me.

Thank you so much for all the effort you put into your blog – I really appreciate it.

Christine

PS: I will hike through Sweden May and June 2015 – hope to meet you then!

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Christine, thanks again for the kind words, and I am very happy that you found my blog useful.

Send me an email before you arrive Sweden so we can work out a meet up! My wife and I are planning on going up to hike Kungsleden summer of 2015 (not sure just when yet), but since you are hiking the entire E1, I'm sure we can workout meeting up somewhere or another. City or woods is fine by me. Looking forward to it!

Christian Edstrom
    Spectator

@bjorn240

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Great reading. Even though I'm Swedish I've never hiked south of Dalälven so really neat to read about your hikes. Your section on gatukök in your general tips for hiking in Sweden obviously made me homesick for a tunnbrödsrulle and a GB glass!

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Gatukök e gott, särskilt efter flera stor stark. Men tack så mycket för feedback.

I forgot all about this thread! Sorry about that.

Anyhow, somewhat recently I put up another E1 trip report in case anyone is interested. Snow is melting and spring is slowly on the way, so hopefully for my next trip (which I hope is in a few weeks or so) hiking on the trail will be easier than last time.

Here she blows, Bergslagsleden part 4:

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2015/02/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden.html

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

My report on my section hike last week:

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2015/03/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden.html

I have a solid 10 months or so to work out the whole snow shoes vs. skis dilemma. I have been going back and fourth on which ones to go with. Snow shoes seem like the less complicated, lighter weight solution to traveling through lots of snow. But the appeal of skiing down the trail when there are snowy hills seems great. But man my head swims when I consider all the details of skis (e.g. types of boots, types of skis, wax or no wax, x-country vs. telmark, etc.).

So anyhow, don't let anyone tell you that you can't hike in the winter in Sweden with Chucks on. Even in deep snow–though this part is admittedly pretty damn hard.

As always, questions and feedback are encouraged. Oh! And I recently gave my blog a facelift now that it's springtime. I hope it's easy on the eyes and to read.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Tried to be productive as of late with Spring break and all.

I've finished Bergslagsleden, which is the largest stand-alone trail of the E1. Here's the last two stages:

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2015/04/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden.html

After finishing up this trail, I fixed up and edited all 6 of my trail guides for it, and wrote up an introduction/epilogue for it as well, which you can read here:

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2015/04/cesars-complete-guide-to-bergslagsleden.html

Past this trail I cover two more stages of the E1 that I covered on my last hike. You can check out the first one here and follow the link to the next one if you'd like:

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2015/04/cesars-guide-to-e1-trails-in-sweden_8.html

As always, please feel free to ask any questions or give feedback.

Edit — Oh yeah, and I'm now just over 800km in, and only about 300km left! I might be able to finish the whole trail by the end of this year!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools