Topic

A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts – Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev 0

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A Visual Paradigm for Windshirts – Multiple Axis of Understanding.-Rev 0

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Yes, thanks again for testing, Richard. Paul, that matches my breath test of the alpine start as well. Honestly, they both would likely fill similar rolls for me breathability wise, but the weird fit of the alpine start collar was what got me.
    I'm probably way to picky about this sort of thing, but the zipper/flap on the alpine is what had me looking at alternatives. Its just way to stiff & built up for a jacket with fabric that light. When wearing a hipbelt or harness the zipper bunches up awkwardly & blocksthe view to your feet, which is important for climbing & sometimes hiking/skiing too. If I had any hope I wouldn't butcher it, I'd sew it into an anorak with a small flexible half zip. Again, I'm picky though. Too much time on these forums.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Some more thoughts on the Black Diamond Alpine Start vs. Rab Alpine Jacket.

The length of both jackets is okay for use with a backpack. In the front, they are just about the same length, but in the rear, the Rab has a drop tail which makes it about 3" longer.

My hipbelt just covers the bottom of the zipper of the hand pockets of the Rab. I wish the pockets were just about 1 inch higher.

The Rab has a lot of extra fabric in the stomach area, and when I sit down, or I fasten my pack's hip belt, the stomach area balloons out.

The Black Diamond has a much cleaner front, having only a single chest pocket. The pocket is okay-sized, but not large enough for gloves.

The hood on the Rab is brilliant. The hood on the Black Diamond rubs your forehead when you turn your head.

If you are going to use the hood a lot, or like walking with your hands in your pockets, I would suggest the Rab. If you rarely use a hood, and prefer a clean front, the Black Diamond would be better.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

If I wanted to send some garments to you for testing, would that be ok?

I have a OR Ferrosi, a Stoic Wrath, and a Montane windshirt.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Brian,

Which of your jackets are currently broadly available for new sales and what is the use-profile? Early indications are that coated windshirts increase in air permeability with use.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The Stoic Wrath is no longer available, and the one I am most interested in getting tested.

The OR Ferrosi and Montane Lite-Speed is still available.

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools