Topic

Red Ledge Backpacker Poncho at REI $17

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Red Ledge Backpacker Poncho at REI $17

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I tried to buy something else and could not get the SECRET25 code to work. Is there some type of restriction on it?

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Ok, maybe I am just missing something here. I picked it up at REI today and I'm not seeing how to convert this to "tarp mode". I thought it was going to be like the Golite poncho tarp. ->

Poncho Tarp

As you can see in that picture, there are multiple tieouts along the tarp, and at least some form of attachment system in the apex to the trekking pole.

With the red ledge…..there are 4 corner tieouts, and that's it. Not sure how you are supposed to "elevate it" or attach it to a trekking pole? There isn't a loop or hole, or ? along the middle sides.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

It's very easy to create your own tie-out on the spot. Find a small, smooth pebble and gather the tarp material around it. Tie rope around the base of where it's gathered and you have a sort of button that acts as a tie-out. I've made shelters out of plastic sheeting this way.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ponchos are minimalist shelters at best and this one is a. little smaller than the GoLite. It would make a better than nothing at all emergency shelter, although if the weather was bad, I might prefer wearing it and sitting under a tree. If rigging as a shelter, I think a classic lean-to would be the way to go. It could be strung from trees or brush to use on a rest stop or as a cook shelter.

Other than the pebble trick, you can buy plastic clamp-on tie down gizmos made for storage tarps. The best way would be to stich in a few webbing loops.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I'm planning to just stitch in some nylon webbing loops along the side of mine. Should be easy enough.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try a classic lean to and I appreciate the button idea (though I could do the grommet or sew a tie out). I'll see how it goes tomorrow and whether its worth the trouble or not. I was hoping it was going to be more of a golite clone. The MLD poncho tarp looks super nice (and looks like a legitimate shelter but I'm not paying $170.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Ponchos are minimalist shelters at best and this one is a little smaller than the GoLite. It would make a better than nothing at all emergency shelter, although if the weather was bad, I might prefer wearing it and sitting under a tree."

7.6' X 4.3' is too small for a shelter. A standard sized poncho/tarp at 8' X 5' really needs a bivy.

For day hikes a rain jacket is a better idea and can be lighter. If you need it as a shelter (even an emergency shelter) it is too small. Might as well spend a little more money and get something that works. The GoLite works, and for the price is good for what it is.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

Do these ponchos wet-out at all under heavy rain or is that not an issue since they are designed as "shelters" and not pretending to be made of "breathable" fabric?

My Marmot rain jacket I've had forever wets out after a bit and I'm looking to make the switch to a poncho that is truly waterproof (and lighter).

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Not breathable. Wetting out kills breathability, but *shouldn't* cause leaks. The water will roll off this stuff

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I took the poncho out on a trip recently and set it up. There was no rain in the forecast, so I ended up just sleeping out under the stars, but I think I would have been just fine in this set-up in a moderate rainstorm.

I sewed in some webbing in the middle of each long side in order to be able to set it up this way. This was with my home-made Silnylon and Tyvek bivy.

Poncho Tarp 1

Poncho Tarp 2

Poncho Tarp 3

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools