Topic

Help Us Design the Ultimate UltraLight Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help Us Design the Ultimate UltraLight Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Paul I agree, maybe it wasn't clear in the pictures but the belt is going to attach to the bottom of the stay via a pocket the stay fits into.

Nicholas I noticed 1000 Cordura is only a bit heavier. If I was going the Cordura route I just might try it. But my hiking is going to be split between short West Texas trips on longer summer trips in the Rockies so I'll be going with VX 42 for water resistance and quick drying. I think the VX 42 will be tough enough for the limited desert us it will get (I'm not scraping through slot canyons).

My project for tonight is to draw up a final sketch for Chris and get things rolling.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I think that's the right decision – I just made a pack with VX-21 and it's pretty darn strong – the 42 must be awesome. Eventually I'd like to rebuild my bikepacking panniers out of that stuff.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Making what I hope will be final sketches tonight.

To test the concept I took my Exped Lighting and flipped the Velcro lumbar pad down then with straps I secured a folded blue pad to the outside of the pack to replace the lumbar pad. It roughly approximated the pad set up in David's pack. I like the feel a lot. I also liked how the pad "stuck" to my back since the foam was right on my back not slippery nylon.

It got me thinking… how about a piece of cordura for just the back piece (the rest will be VX42). I'm thinking the roughness of the cordura might be a good thing. Any thoughts?

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

cordura against the back: good way to go, that's what I do on my packs. But you don't need the 500d here, get some 330 or 160, it will be plenty tough.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

How about 3D mesh against your back? Reasonable texture against back. Provides some form to the pack.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I might do that, less likely to wear out a raincoat for example.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

3D mesh will hold water, though.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Luke, I am looking forward to what you come up with. I almost contacted Chris to build nearly a similar pack for desert use but was not sure that I could communicate the frame and other things I wanted well and then looked closer at the Kalais and had Matthew build me one out of all Dyneema. Just finished a 7 day walk in Big Bend and it worked great both in durability and comfort. Most loads were below 30# but I did and have carried 40+ in it with good comfort, still need to dial in the bend in the frame a bit but not a lot. Great hip belt and the V shaped frame does work with the hip belt well. Came in at 35oz. with a hipbelt pocket.

Interested in why you have decided against Dyneema. Cordura against the back would stick well but also be sweaty when it's hot to. I like the spacer mesh on the Kalais and SMD packs that I have used for that reason.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Well here is the final design

Side View

BackView

Looks like we'll be going with VX42 for the body, Dyneema X for the collar and red cordura for the hipbelt and lumbar area. I'm not using 3D mesh here because it soaks up water, picks up debris and (on the hipbelt) is too stretchy.

I'm skipping pockets for weight and cost savings. Also it seems silly to have a bomb proof pack with a mesh pocket on the back. I'll probably make my own removable pockets that I'll us at times.

I'm going with a doubled hipbelt buckle on the theory that this will help it wrap my hips better (especially with a softer hipbelt).

Here is a view of the shoulder strap area. If all works out it should be very well reinforced.

Shoulder Strap Area

Any last minute suggestions better chime in. I did get some good ideas from ya'll which I appreciate. I'll post some pictures once its ready.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

The pack is made, Chris just sent me pictures. I've very excited about the way it turned out. I posted pictures here

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=88322&skip_to_post=752585#752585

Thank you all for your input.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools