Topic

The Enchantments Permit Lottery

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning The Enchantments Permit Lottery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

FYI the lottery for The Enchantments opens tomorrow.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Knew it would be tough to get a permit and found out today that I didn't. Oh well… I enjoyed day-hiking through it last year and may do it again this year if I can't get a walk-up permit.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I got one a couple years ago. Requested any of several days.

If you had an open enough request, like first open day after Labor Day weekend you'll get a permit.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"If you had an open enough request, like first open day after Labor Day weekend you'll get a permit."

So you mean adding "I command thee to maketh my permit thou's highest priority no ifs, ands, or buts" probably didn't help?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It's nice I'm flexible on timing. Doesn't work for everyone. I think I got my first choice so maybe next year you'll be luckier.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

With the Wonderland it was fairly easy as I added a letter which explained to the NPS that I was mostly flexible with my itinerary but what the limits were. All this was mailed in.

With The Enchantments, it was all online through Recreation.gov. I'll be more attentive next year to see if there's a way to communicate the flexibility of my itinerary to them when I submit it.

For this year, I figure I'll run up there mid-week and try to get a walk-up. There are other nice hikes in that area so it won't be a total loss if I strike out. The only downside is that by waiting in line for a walk-up permit, it'd put me a few hours too late for me to try a day-hike through the Enchantments that day at my snail’s pace.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ian,

Way to early for me to commit to anything, but I really like the idea of a day-thru like you did last year and with two of us, it'd solve the transportation problem, too.

My only overnight hike there was a 2-night on the other/north side of Icicle Canyon, a loop up Grindstone Mtn. I'll have to look at the map to get the trail numbers, but it was nice.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I didn't get the Lottery either this year and put in open dates for 3 zones anywhere between 7/24 thru 9/10. Boy, it is tough to get in this year.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools