Topic

Bad Elf Pro GPS?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bad Elf Pro GPS?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

Anyone have experience with the bad elf pro? Am thinking of picking one up to track my route and also as a navigational backup (with gaia app on iphone).

Let me know what you think!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I used the one that plugged into the bottom of an iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4 (30-pin connector). Didn't use it hiking, used it on a few bike rides. Worked great, but will take a toll on your battery (as any GPS app will).

If that's what you're looking at picking up, I might still have mine around here somewhere. Let me know if you're interested.

M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

no, I am actually looking at the pro unit, since it has its own battery and can do tracking… Will be using it on the CDT to collect GPS data and also verify location (i think it has a stronger signal than an iphone for gps)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"(i think it has a stronger signal than an iphone for gps)"

Please clarify.

–B.G.–

M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

By this, I mean you can use the Bad Elf to receive GPS reading, then connect via bluetooth to your iphone to view with gaia.
    My understanding is that the bad elf will be able to get GPS readings in places where the iphone would not… I know on the PCT my iphone's GPS stopping working for most of the Sierras, as well as parts of washington.

Bad Elf GPS Technical Specs:

Fast GPS lock times (45 seconds or less)
    2.5 meter accuracy
    60,000ft / 18,000m maximum altitude
    1000mph / 1,600kph maximum speed
    Up to 10Hz position update rate
    66-channel MTK GPS chipset
    SBAS/WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS

I think the iphone GPS is about 10m accuracy? Not sure of other specs.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

So, where is the stronger signal?

You haven't mentioned anything that has to do with signal strength.

–B.G.–

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

>> My understanding is that the bad elf will be able to get GPS readings in places where the iphone would not…<<

I don't have any experience with the Bad Elf device however, a quick search indicates that Bad Elf is using the same GPS Chipsets that Garmin uses. Apple is using a multi-function Qualcomm chip, so I would very much doubt that an iPhone could compete with the Bad Elf device when it comes to holding a satellite lock. My iPhone cannot compete with my Garmin in tough terrain.

As far as "accuracy" goes, that depends on what the software does with the signal once it receives it. The Bad Elf is WAAS enable so you may get better accuracy (as they claim) but accuracy claims with GPS devices are as misleading as lumens claimed by flahlights manufacturers. In my area, turning on WAAS yields considerably worse coordinate accuracy.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"In my area, turning on WAAS yields considerably worse coordinate accuracy."

I guess you know that WAAS was never intended to be used by ground-based walkers. It was designed purely to improve the vertical positioning of landing aircraft.

–B.G.–

M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

yes, as I understand it is a better GPS…

I was just curious if anyone had used one for hiking purposes!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Somebody does need to find out how well Bad Elf and Gaia GPS will work with an iPod Touch, 5th gen.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools