Topic

good, not too expensive, 2 or 3 person tent.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) good, not too expensive, 2 or 3 person tent.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Myles Booth
    Spectator

@mbooth0007

Man, you all have me looking at the duo hard! How is the space for two people?

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I've used the lunar duo for a few years now with my wife. It's pretty massive inside, especially compared to dome tents with similar footprints. I'm 6'5" and bought it particularly because of the space. Really nice shelter, and that price is regoddamdiculous.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Not too expensive means different things to different people.

A GREAT 2-3 person tent with wonderful ventilation options, lots of room and only weighs 49 oz. (a smidgen over 3lbs) is the Tarptent Cloudburst 3 [http://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst3.html]. I've just recommended one to a friend.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Miles,
    Do you want a 2 person tent, or a 3 person tent? This is a really big distinction, and I think you're going to have to make up your mind on this point from the get-go.

For backpacking purposes, I'd recommend the TarpTent Double Rainbow for a 2-person tent ($289 new, but you can often get a good deal on one through BPL's Gear Swap). The Lunar Duo would also be a good choice.

I have no suggestions for a 3 person tent as I've never used one.

P.S. – You can shoot for much lower than 6.5 pounds, and I would advise that you do. Your future self will thank you.

Myles Booth
    Spectator

@mbooth0007

Ueah, i was initially looking for a 3 person tent, ad i thought the extra room would be nice. But from what i am hearing, there are definitely some roomy 2 person tents out there. I suppose i am trying to stay in the 200 and under range. Will most likely be using it for both backpacking, and car camping.

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

> Man, you all have me looking at the duo hard! How is the space for two people?

Ive got about 15 or so nights in mine over two trips (10 nights + 5 nights). All of the nights I shared it with another guy. Im 6' and 175, the two guys I have shared with are both a bit broader in the shoulders than me. We never felt cramped when sleeping but also had great weather so never spent any time in the tent other than sleeping.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

"How is the space for two people?"

Well, they advertise that there is room for 4 people to sit up comfortably and play cards, so that should give you some idea…

Myles Booth
    Spectator

@mbooth0007

Alright everyone, after much praise, i just picked up the lunar duo outfitter. It is a bit heavier, but not a big deal. Looking forward to checking it out. I figure it has to be good, with how everyone is talking so great about it. One question, my current tents are sil, and need to be seam sealed. Are these the same way, even though it isnt sil?
    Once again, thanks everyone for your help. One outstanding community here!

jh
    Spectator

@woodpewee

The sale came at a perfect time. Great choice!

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

The Lunar Duo Outfitter uses 190T polyester and the Lunar Duo Explorer uses 30D Sil-Nylon. Can anyone comment on the differences between the two materials. Which is stronger and more abrasion resistant? How do they each hold up to UV rays?

I'm sure either material is just fine, I'm just concerned about my destructive kids and their ability to destroy anything they touch.

Edit: Looks like the 190T Polyester is more UV resistant and doesn't absorb water like sil-nylon.

Myles Booth
    Spectator

@mbooth0007

Good questions, Eric. I was wondering the same things. I can say from my experience with sil tents, they tend to sag a bit when exposed to a downpour. I have found it pretty easy to tighten everything up after it gets a bit wet, though.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools