Topic

REI Changes Return Policy To One Year Time Limit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals REI Changes Return Policy To One Year Time Limit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe it's because I'm on the other side, but as a sales rep, it's amazing to see how people abuse return policies and therefore ultimately affect the manufacturers pricing because they have to offset the losses.

I can't understand how someone can return hundreds of dollar in gear and expect to get their money back after using the products for over a year. Absolutely ridiculous. That would be very similar to me arguing with an employee that his effort wasn't as I expected and therefore am taking back his entire year salary.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I had an email exchange with REI's customer service recently about their return policy. I bought a pair of winter boots toward the end of the season last year and never really wore them (no snow last winter.) I've had opportunities to wear them this winter, and they're pretty well broken in now but are still killing my feet. I realized recently that my year was up, so I contacted REI.

REI's rep told me that anything purchased before the policy change is still covered by their "forever" guarantee. My boots fall into this category.

I think, though, that this experience with my boots shows that it can sometimes take a year to test a product. A lot of us take advantage of end-of-season sales for big-ticket seasonal gear. Last year's warm winter meant a lot of gear didn't really get used. My X-country ski boots were almost brand new this winter even though I've had them for nearly 2 years.

That said, my biggest beef is with their new 30-day policy for the Outlet. If I need gear for a trip, I'm usually shopping a few months out, rarely within 30 days. With the exception of some clothes and everyday items, the new policy makes the Outlet almost worthless for me, which is too bad. I used to get a lot of things there.

Hammock Hanger
    BPL Member

@travelpro

I've been an REI member for Many years. I love REI. I spend a lot of money at REI every year and the generous return policy means I often opt to buy at REI online instead of other online retailers. Peace of mind means I often take a chance and buy something fromREI that I may not be 100% sure of. I rarely return these.

But the new 30 day return policy at the Outlet may change that. I buy most of my gear more than a month in advance of a trip, and I buy a LOT of stuff from Outlet as gifts, usually several months in advance. With a 30 day return policy I will be much more reluctant to buy from Outlet, especially pricey items.

All in all this new policy translates to discouraging me from buying from REI as I have up to now. I really hate the idea of being stuck with a defective item or something that just doesn't work as advertised.

Still love REI. But I hate this new policy. REI mgmt would do better to just cancel the memberships of the tiny minority of offenders.

The new policy pushes longtime loyal customers like me into doing EXACTLY what REI is trying to PREVENT– customers chasing the cheapest price available anywhere online…which is not REI's chosen strength.
    BTW, I go to a lot of REI attic sales. 99% of merchandise looks either compltely unused or used for a night or two. I just don't see the 17 year old threadbare boots somebody posted about.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

" If I were in Chicago, just out of curiosity I'd check the local Starbucks to see if the former manager was pulling shots. ;0)"

Mrs. pitsy is a Barista at Starbucks. It's not as easy as it looks. Choose another profession as the object of your derision, please.

Don Morris

@hikermor

I just returned a digital watch I had purchased about six months ago when it turned defective. Absolutely no problems. And the nice lady at the register had a very engaging smile.

This,BTW, was my first return ever in several decades doing business with REI. I am a fan…

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools