Topic

Your first “UL” piece of gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your first “UL” piece of gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Like Dan my first piece of ultralight gear was a 2 pound 7 ounce GoLite Litespeed pack.

Litespeed

I bought it in March of 2009 to replace my old traditional Jansport Carson 80 framed pack that tipped the scale at an advertised 4 pounds 13 ounces.

That change alone reduced my pack weight by 2 pounds 6 ounces. ;-)

I modified the Litespeed to further reduce its weight by making circular cutouts in the frame sheet, removing unnecessary plastic hardware and trimming the length of the webbing straps. I also removed the ice axe loops. There isn't a whole lot of ice in Southeastern Louisiana. ;-)

FWIW I found the BPL website in 2010 and very soon after the world of MYOG. My gear weight has fallen dramatically since then.

Party On,

Newton

Al Brassell
    BPL Member

@jambeaux

Locale: Southeastern US

My early seventies Eureka Timberline got damaged and I replaced it with a BA Lynnx Pass 2 and weight was not a consideration as the 2 tents were roughly the same size and up to this time I just assumed everything weighed about the same. I had however aged about 40 years since the purchase of the Eureka Timberline and I had begun to hear about UL hiking I soon purchased my first piece of intentional lightweight gear, a Tarptent Rainshadow 2. It weighed less than half of what the BA Lynnx Pass 2 did.

Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools