Topic

Packing with Dogs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Doug is right push the button bad thing starts positive punishment let off the button bad thing ends negative reinforcement. Its not splitting hairs, everything Doug said is fact.I can pull out several books give you the authors name book name and page number. Now I would like to hear how positive reinforcement is done with an e-collar? Hows that work Troy? I also don't believe that any good trainer will rate any animal 100% cause Any good trainer knows that they didn't do a perfect job training the animal. No trainer is perfect and no training method is perfect. The thing that makes an E-coller effective is you can correct a behavior at a distance and the dog don't really know who did it so there's no hard feelings. I also don't believe a dog really wants to please anybody They just do things to get the good things to start and hopefully not end and have the bad things not start and end quick of they do. If my dogs wanted to please me I'd be getting the belly rubs.

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

1) Check out this book on hiking 800 miles with the dog:

http://www.dupress.duq.edu/products/other8-paper

Maybe something helpful there.

2) As for falling off cliffs and bears and the like– are you saying there are people out there walking their dogs on a leash in the woods? Like they were on a city sidewalk?

3) Troy: what kind of dog were you packrafting with, what kind of water, and what did you do about the spray skirt?

Troy Childs

@tchilds

Troy Childs

@tchilds

Troy Childs

@tchilds

Good luck and be safe out there with the bear food and horse spookers.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Edit: Do not feed

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

This well intentioned thread went all kinds of crazy just like that. YIKES.

Troy Childs

@tchilds

Yeh it's not really my thing to post online and I live for solitude. Don't know why I think I can help anyone lol.

Have fun guys and be careful out there. Most dogs will endanger your life or the lives if others at some point so keep that in mind.

Enjoy the internet. I'm going to go work with my dogs instead lol.

Matthew Helmuth
    BPL Member

@matthewhelmuth

Locale: Cascade Siskiyou National Monument

Wow — this thread certainly did grow legs!

Thanks to all of you for your input — I wasn't necessarily "encouraged" to take Lizzie but after weighing all of the admonitions for and against taking her with us I opted to adjust the route some and take her.

We'd been planning to do a section of the AT but in order to avoid traffic we took the suggestion of a forum member and visited the Pisgah National Forest just outside of Asheville. We were five in number, and my girlfriend is seven months pregnant, so we hiked in, set up camp, and day hiked from there to keep it easy on ourselves.

I think it was a perfect first trip for Lizzie: it was a low traffic area (except for the Boy Scouts who absolutely LOVED Lizzie) compared to the AT and we were able to keep mileage relatively low.

We did have her wear her new pack the whole time, but left it empty in the interest of her puppy bones. We wanted her to get used to wearing it while hiking about. We also split the days roughly in half off-leash and on, and when she was on leash she was just fine staying in a column.

It was most definitely an enlightening experience: we learned her strengths and also her many weaknesses as a wilderness dog. She's predisposed to staying with us, never wandering more than 20 yards or so, and excellent about preferring us to other hikers (though she did follow a group of boisterous women up another trail the first morning), and until the very last day was excellent about not approaching other hikers. She learned after the third foot-bridge to cross them very slowly and cautiously. She has, though, demonstrated what many have said is a classic hound's trait: a propensity for completely ignoring anything we say or do except when we leave. We definitely need to work on recall, and also on getting her not to eat poop.

Anyhow — thanks again for all your thoughtful responses. Here's Lizzie at lunch on day one. She'd never walked that far in her puppy life.

Lizzie zonked after day one.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Now that's awesome!! Sounds like the perfect learning/training trip!! Just keep doing that over and over the first year or so, keep up the training, keep the mileage really low and easy, and you'll have an awesome trail dog!

I really really enjoy watching my pup on hikes…it gives me such joy to watch him simply being a dog, smelling things, peeing on things, running around in ways he doesn't get to in the city.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools