Topic

Sale on the NEW LiteTrail Titanium Tent Stakes, Shepherd’s Hook

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Sale on the NEW LiteTrail Titanium Tent Stakes, Shepherd’s Hook

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

We received the new Shepherd's Hook ti stakes in stock today. The new version is powder-coated down 1/3 of the length in a hi-vis green color.

The "hi-vis" came out less neon than we had hoped and so even though we just got this brand new item, they are on SALE for only $2.50 each, compared to $3.50 regular price.
    LiteTrail Titanium Tent Stakes, Shepherd's Hook

LTR0008

Cheers,

~J
    LiteTrail

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

Powder coating seems like a good idea, also seems like it would really bump up production costs. At that, $2.50 is a good deal. Also, I like the new store layout.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Any chance of making a batch with a very defined backbend? It looks like the line would slip off easy on these.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Thank you @CenAZwalker. I dig the new site too, mainly because it's tied to other backend systems which really shorten my fulfillment workload, so I can focus that extra time on new product dev.

@bubonicplay not at the moment. This is the old standard style we've all used since 2005 without any issue.

Thanks for the comments :-)

Questions about "Out of Stock" items? LiteTrail Stock Status page.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"This is the old standard style we've all used since 2005 without any issue."

Not really. This style needs a more pronounced hook to it.

All of the standard shepherd's hook stakes have more of a hook.

–B.G.–

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Oh Bob, not again.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Oh Bob, not again."

Just trying to be helpful.

Previously you had a missing feature in another metal product, and you didn't see the point of it. Then, by some magic, the product received that feature a little later. Do you want to go through this again on stakes?

–B.G.–

michael levi

@m-l

I agree with Bob G. These do not have a great backbend at all. You will sell more if you listen to this important piece of advice I promise. In the meantime I will keep using Lawson's Ti stakes which are the best stakes ever produced!!!!

AJ Groff
    Spectator

@ajgroff

Locale: Midwest

I would be interested in these as well if they had a more pronounced bend. I wish Lawson hadn't stopped selling his.

michael levi

@m-l

"This is the old standard style we've all used since 2005 without any issue."

I guess being standard is good enough then right?

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Just a quick update on the weight of the ti-stakes, I originally posted them as 6.5 grams, but the scale was a bit wonky. I found a great new scale on eBay and reweighed a sample batch and they all came out at under 6g or around 5.8g. I've updated the site with the new specs.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Well, I dunno, but I find that shape hook on the top just fine. It never worries me. But I stick the stake into the ground at right angles to the guy rope or a bit more, so most any sort of hook would be effective.

Don't always blame the gear.

Cheers

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I just used a vise to take most of the back-bend OUT of my ti stakes, as they must do double duty as pot supports, and I don't want the supports to "drop down" on one side for a crooked-sitting pot.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Well I ordered some. I've never had a line pull off a stake, even those with a less pronounced hook then these look to have. But I'll compare them to my other Ti stake collection. It would seem to me that if its an actual issue, it isn't anything that a vise and some elbow grease in the garage couldn't fix.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

st
    LiteTrail

stk
    Lawson

Lawson does have his for sale again.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I prefer less back end too. In fact, I prefer a straight stake. I find the big back end a twisting pain in the neck. It allows small amounts of lateral sideways movement in a guy line to apply twisting forces to a stake. A straight stake can't do that. Twisting forces on the stake shaft help loosen the soil holding it in, which in turn leads to pulled stakes.

I bought up a bunch of the old 1gram BPL Ti stakes, but found them useless due to the big bend in most soil. If they were just a straight bit of Titanium rod they would have been much better.

Also, try pushing a shepherd's hook stake into hard ground, or giving it some persuasion with a rock. You guys must hike in pretty cushy ground.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools