Topic

Katabaticgear Grenadier

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Katabaticgear Grenadier

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andreas K
    BPL Member

@andreas

Is there anyone who has experience to share from using the Katabatic Gear Grenadier quilt? Judging from the lack of info online I assume that it is quite (very?) new, but I'd appreciate any input you might have. In particular, I'd be keen on getting your view on the temp rating as well as the fit (roomy / loose?).

In case you have used the Blackwelder (the predecessor?), your input would be most appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I suspect that's because few here take a quilt down to the rated 5 degrees, but I may be wrong. I have their Palisades and absolutely love it. Very good loft and construction. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

The main reason you haven't seen anything is because they just introduced that particular model. The Blackwelder was their 0 degree quilt they used to offer. So the Grenadier is sort of the replacement for the Blackwelder (similar temp rating). Anyhow, probably better luck searching on peoples experience with the Blackwelder

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

In case it wasn't obvious from the description online, Aaron from Katabatic had mentioned that the main difference between the Blackwelder and new Genadier is that the Grenadier employs continuous baffles, as opposed to the side block baffles of the Blackwelder. The idea being to make the Grenadier more versatile by allowing you to shift down, as in his other models.

I do not personally have either (I own a very well used and well loved Chisos) but from a global perspective Aaron makes fantastic kit and is great to work with overall.

Andreas K
    BPL Member

@andreas

Gents, thanks for your quick replies (and sorry for my slow one!).

While Blackwelder does have somewhat more feedback to its name (only positive), it seems like you were quite right, Steve, that most prefer bags at low temps.

Having browsed around a bit more, I'm now leaning towards a KG Sawatch, which some have used at low temps. Will post new thread to tease out the last bit of info before pulling the trigger.

Cheers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools